tamiwloch
Returning Member

The program keeps crashing and reloading at the same place each time

It's at the very beginning where it's verifying that my adult son is not a dependent.  Everytime I verify that, the program stops and reloads.  I can't even get past this initial setup

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

1) Desktop software, or Online software?

2) IF "Online" software...what browser are yo using?

or

3) IF Desktop software, you'd have to describe what system (MAC or Windows)  and what version of the OS you are using.    (IF Windows, rev 7 doesn't seem to work with the latest TTX update...but TTX won't support W7 anyhow).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
RhynierM
Returning Member

Windows 10 

Deluxe version (Which has License Code entered).

My 2019 file is found when program searches but crashes when I attempt to select it.

At one point I got into the program and started a new file, responding MARRIED and YES to file jointly.  The program crashes at that point and I can't get any further. 

I reloaded the program and have the same result!

@RhynierM 

That's a new one

1)  make sure you run a software  update first.

2) make sure the 2019 file you select is on your actual hard drive...not in a cloud drive or usb-stick or CD

....then if still a problem, call Customer Support...they may have an idea, or they may have you uninstall and reinstall with an entirely brand new, fully updated installation .exe file.....but I'm guessing about that.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
NolanH3
Returning Member

I am having the same issue when I get to the Deductions & Credits portion. I have my file on an external hard drive. Do I need to move the file?

@NolanH3 - suggest ensuring the software and the file is on your hard drive.  There have been some other posts about memory - how much free memory do you have (needs to be more than 2gb)..

@NolanH3 

Absolutely, make sure your software AND  files are on your main system hard drive.  One issue people were having with external hard drives, was that the computer system will re-map the location of the external hard drive between sessions, or after shutdown and restart.....(not that I have my terminology exactly correct)....then the software ends up looking to either access, or store the file in a location that no longer exists.

Thus, program and files need to be only on your main system hard drive.   Certainly you can copy-paste the files to the external drive occasionally for backup....but do not save directly to an external drive from the software...copy and paste only

NolanH3
Returning Member

Thank you for the feedback. 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software on my internal hard drive. I started a new return. When I get to Deductions & Credits, the program crashes and restarts returning to the screen that I was last on. I'm open on other suggestions.

did you check the available memory? how old is the computer? and maybe you mentioned it earlier, you are running windows 10? 

NolanH3
Returning Member

I'm on my main computer. It's got 32GB RAM. Yes, I'm running Win10. I build my own machines and haven't had issue with the software before.

....other than talking to Customer Support.

Try downloading's and installing the Manual update first  ??

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

@NolanH3 wrote:

I'm on my main computer. It's got 32GB RAM. Yes, I'm running Win10. I build my own machines and haven't had issue with the software before.

Try this -

Close the TurboTax program

Right click on the TurboTax desktop icon

Click on Properties

Click on the Compatibility tab

Check the box Run this program as an administrator

Click on Apply and OK

Start the TurboTax program and see if the problem persists.

NolanH3
Returning Member

@DoninGA 

Yes, I've been running it as admin. 

I'll continue troubleshooting.  thanks for all the assistance thus far.

@NolanH3    That Administrator setting that @DoninGA  posted ?

That is a separate internal Administrator setting that, in prior years, a few folks had to set for some reason in order for the program to operate properly, even if they had already installed and run as an Aministrtrator in the initial program setup.  If you haven't tried setting that specifically as posted, give it a shot anyhow.

NolanH3
Returning Member

I'm at my wits end at this point. I've uninstalled the program and installed it on my main SSD, have the admin setting setup, started a new file and the software still crashes at Deductions & Credits. 

I have run the manual update and got the following message.

"TurboTax 2020 is not installed. Please install TurboTax 2020 first and then re-run this update."

Currently, I am running TurboTax Deluxe 2020 v.[phone number removed].

I've used TurboTax for over 10 years and this is the first year I've had this problem.