yugi
Level 1

Please don't tie TurboTax to every new MacOS version. I'm forced to use H&R Block next year because of this.

Previously, TurboTax has not required the latest version of Mac OSX. Suddenly it started to do that.

I dodged it last year because my Mac was able to upgrade to the latest version. 

I'm not able to upgrade to the latest version of Mac OSX next year (Mojave or Catalina), Apple has restricted the upgrade to later year model Macs. Even my wife who uses MacBook Pro Air, which is the latest and greatest, can't upgrade to Mojave.

This will cause numerous TurboTax Mac users to use other tax preparation software. It's trivial to jump to H&R Block. That's what I'll use next year.

I see no reason to use the latest MacOS version. What features do you use of the new version? Graphics, Movie, Image processing? My goodness, TurboTax is just a plain old desktop software.

Do you have a deal to promote Apple products? Well, let me tell you, I'm not buying a $1,500 laptop just so I can follow TurboTax upgrades. I'm buying $50.- software from a TurboTax competitor.

Oh and another thing, I won't be purchasing any Intuit or related products, real or imaginable, now or in the future anymore.

Guess who loses? Can you pronounce s-t-u-p-i-d?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

TurboTax does not require the latest Mac version.  It does require that you be on a OSX version that the Apple Developer Software supplied by Apple for software companies to develop new Mac compatible software supports.    Apple drops support after 3 versions.   If the Apple supplied developer software does not support a Mac OS version there is nothing that TurboTax can do about it.     They cannot develop their own software since all Mac internal functions are priority Apple functions only the Apple developer package can access.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

The information above is simply not correct. I can attest to that as a professional MacOS software developer.

The choice to tie the software to a specific MacOS version is entirely in the hands of Intuit.

To add to this I have been using TurboTax for over 10 years (current system contains returns since 2011). I am currently on MacOS 10.14 and will not upgrade (for a variety of valid technical reasons, that are well beyond this discussion). This year, in anticipation of not being able to use TurboTax in 2021, I purchased HR Block software and ran it along TurboTax.

The resulting returns are essentially identical (HR software wins "by a nose" in the amount of the return). Crucially, HR software does not choose to be tied to the most recent MacOS, so I should be good with it for quite a few years to come.

It is unfortunate that Intuit decided to take the way of "version treadmill". Now you lost my business - little though it may be.

Apple does not support OS prior to 10.14 and TurboTax will not support any OS not supported by the manufacture.   As of January 2021 Apple dropped support for 10.13.  They also dropped support for Windows 7 because Microsoft dropped support.

That has been a TurboTax policy for years.  

Some vendors will compile 2 or more versions of the software for different OS's, but usually they only have one product.  TurboTax has 4 different Mac versions and so far has issued 20 updates for each.  They simply do not feel that it would be cost effective to maintain separate versions for unsupported OS's.

Sorry, but that has been TurboTax policy for years.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may have been the policy, but it is not a smart policy. As a MacOS software developer, I will underscore again that Apple "support" for any particular version is irrelevant for purposes of any other developer's software availability for that product version. FWIW, I worked on products that supported PowerPC and MacOS 10.11 just a couple of years ago.

It is certainly Intuit's right to make whatever product and software decisions they please. However, it is that policy that forced me to their competitor's product. Intuit's loss, my gain - HR Block software is cheaper, and saved me a few $ on the return.

So, this post is not a request for anything in particular. It is simply a statement of the fact, and may be here to help others make their own decision. Good luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

P.S. Just looked into my tax return folder. The oldest tax return by Turbotax is from 2002. So, Intuit's policy cost them this customer of 20 years. Just sayin'.

@Anonymous wrote:

P.S. Just looked into my tax return folder. The oldest tax return by Turbotax is from 2002. So, Intuit's policy cost them this customer of 20 years. Just sayin'.

Mine goes back to 2000 and MacinTax before that to 1991.   But 2002 is useless today unless you have a Power PC to run them.    Times have changed, hardware has changed and obsolescence policies have changed.   2021 isn't 2002 anymore.

I would be interested to know exactly what is different on Turbo Tax vs HR Block?  What lines?  If you entered everything the same way and answered the questions the same it should be the same.

It's easy.

Change your "Policy" on this, support older MAC OS on CD, RETAIN and attract new clients. I follow your stock. Your  DOWN another -2.64% AGAIN today. You might break the chains of your current policies to attract and keep more customers. I think its called Business 101.Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 11.09.46 AM.png

@KaptainKrrrk wrote:

It's easy.

Change your "Policy" on this, support older MAC OS on CD, RETAIN and attract new clients.

It is not TurboTax's policy - it is Apples policy to drop support after 3 years.   Mac software can can only be complied using the Apple supplied developers tools.     If TurboTax use  older outdated developer tools to be compatible with older software then they could not offer the latest features for those that have new Macs.

And it is not economically feasible to offer and maintain two separate versions of the software  when there are 4 different Mac products and because of all the IRS form changes has had 21 updates for each this year (that is 84 updates that must be complied and tested separately.)    

It is Apple that should support their own software  for more then 3 year. 

Guess what ... BLOCK will not support older systems either for long ... they may for one more year but it is also their SOP to  drop old OS.  They may still support 10.13 for 2020 but probably will not for 2021 ... they have done this on purpose to grab TT customers looking to jump ship then they also stop supporting old OS  after a year or two ...  just want to make you understand what will eventually happen.  

If you cannot upgrade the OS or will not buy a new computer you can continue using the TT Online version to preserve the chain of info  but do what you want. 

cptomes

I call bs.  

there are plenty of third party software published NOT on the App Store that I download and use every day, and they are NOT limited to the Apple developer platform.  

Brave, Chrome, Firefox, Drive Genius, various antivirus programs.

You're being lazy at best, disingenuous or outright misleading more likely.  

I've used TurboTax for decades, keep this up and I'll switch along with the thousands of others who have left Intuit.

Charles

cptomes

I call bs again.  

You're lazy.  

How are all the other third party apps getting downloaded and installed if it's not possible?

Writing this on an early 2011 mbp running High Sierra and the most current release version of Brave, for instance.  

If TurboTax fails on my daily use M1 Air, I'll use my Intel Mini this year and next year will switch to HR Block as others have done.  

Charles