Purchased Premier from Costco. Includes state return but not state e-file. Before I file, it says I owe 19.99. As I continue, it tells me I owe 39.99. How do I fix this?

Payment goes from 19.99 to 39.99???

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

First of all about the 19.99 fee.  There is a lot of confusion about this. For the Desktop version it's a free download of one state PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns. Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program. You can print and mail the state for free or each state (including the first one) is 19.99 or 24.99 to efile. If you buy the cd at the store the Basic version does not include the state.  And Deluxe is available both with and without the state.  Because some states don't have an income tax.

Then to have the 19.99 State efile fee deducted from your federal refund is an EXTRA 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge which you can avoid by paying with a credit card.  So it would be 19.99+39.99 = 59.98.  Go back through the File tab to review or change your choices.

View solution in original post

VolvoGirl, thank you for the speedy reply! I understand now. I find it misleading and very inconvenient, especially after it shows 0.00 (federal) + 19.99 (state)= done. Thanks again!
kwinieck

I still don't get "or each state (including the first one) is 19.99 or 24.99 to efile". What determines whether it's 19.99 or 24.99?

Oh,  19.99 is the early price.  It goes up to 24.99 in March.  I believe it is March 1 this year.

Well isn't that just Dandy TurboTax!!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was about to efile my taxes and it said 19.99 but during the payment process it changed it to 24.99 why not just say the correct price before you get to the payment screen, when it is clearly and repeatedly saying 19.99, I am doing my first efile by the way, not multiple
akm1227

I'm now filing my 2019 return in 2020 and the same is happening.  In TurboTax it says the fee is 19.99 but when go through the payment processing it shows the amount I'll be charged is 24.99.  It is confusing when you see one amount in the app and a different amount in payment processing.

ryancshr

Hi, I was given a price of $19.99 to e-file but then it charged my card $24.99.  How do I get my $5 back?

There is always a price increase in March. The early discounted prices expired on March 1. The state efile fee went from 19.99 to 24.99 every year.

There is a delay in the Desktop program from when the prices increases on March 1 until the program update comes out the next Thursday. It will show the old prices so be sure to update your program, go up to Online- Check for Updates.

Box says Federal Returns & Federal E-File plus State returns. It does not say state efiling is included. It also says on the back on my CD case in the chart comparing the versions - 1 state product via download (print free or efile for $19.99 each) prices subject to change without notice.