rjd3
Returning Member

The amount I enter onto form 199a on K1 does not register--says I need to add this number to file

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Check to make sure your K-1 entry included entry on the screens to enter your Section 199A/QBI information provided with your K-1. These screens are described and show in screenshots later in this post.

For a partnership Form 1065 Schedule K-1, the Schedule A QBI information is entered into TurboTax box 20 screen with a code Z.

For an S-corp Form 1120S Schedule K-1, the Schedule A QBI information is entered into TurboTax box 17 screen with a code V.

Form a trust Form 1041 Schedule K-1, the Schedule A QBI information is entered into TurboTax box 14 screen with a code of I (as in India).

You'll need to put the information on each of the K-1 Section 199A Statement/STMT into the categories shown in the "We need some information about your 199A income or loss" and "Let's check for some uncommon adjustments" screens (see two screenshots later in this post). 

Enter the code Z or V or I when you enter the K-1 box 20 or 17 or 14 screen, but you don't need to enter an amount.  Continue on, and you'll find the two screens.  When you check the box next to a category, a place will open up to enter your amounts.  These screens (if applicable to the amount(s) on your statement) must be completed in order for your K-1 QBI information to be correctly input into TurboTax. 

To get back to the K-1 summary screen and find the Schedule K-1 to edit, click the "magnifying glass Search" icon on the top row, enter "k-1" in the search window and press return or enter, and then click on the "Jump to k-1" link to find the K-1 you need to edit.

Here are the "We need some information about your 199A income or loss" and "Let's check for some uncommon adjustments" screens where you enter the information from your K-1:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

So... I did all that and no number populates AFTER you answer the questions that were screenshotted. I only have amounts in the rental income and UBIA of qualified property. What more information does turbotax need?