Paper return this year. Told to send via mail. No bank account listed and didn't send the tax return. Will IRS use last year's bank info to send my stimulus check?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Will I get my stimulus as a direct deposit or as a paper check?

Here's how it works:

If you filed a 2018 and/or 2019 return with the IRS, and at least one of those returns had a refund which was direct-deposited, the IRS will deposit your stimulus payment into that account (if it's closed, you'll get a check instead.)

If you filed a 2018 and/or 2019 return and neither one had a refund coming, the IRS will mail you a stimulus check. The same holds true if these returns had a refund which was sent as a check.

In other words, if you requested a direct-deposited refund on at least one return in the past two years – 2018 or 2019 – your stimulus will be direct-deposited into that account (assuming it's still valid), and if not, you'll get a check. This cannot be changed.

Kaimana64
Returning Member

Where is my check

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Select https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments  and select the get my payment option to review your refund status. if you filed a 2018 return, you should have a refund coming by check or direct deposit if your banking information was included in your 2018 return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"