Foreign tax credit troubles

I've been having trouble completing the foreign tax section of turbotax. I just have a few hundred dollars paid by mutual funds as well as a small carryover from last year. In the past most or all of this could be used as a credit. For some reason this year turbotax is showing only about a third of it can be used as a credit. Our overall tax situation is about the same or even less than in previous years. The final questions in the section started asking about the AMT and I had no idea what the correct answer was. I can't help but think I've either answered them wrong or entered some information incorrectly. 

The most frustrating thing about this is I then signed up for the "deluxe, premium service" thinking I would get some help. The sales pitch was your return would be reviewed line by line by a tax expert and checked for errors. I ended up talking on the phone with someone that was very nice but seemed to know even less than I did about the trouble I was having. Highly frustrated at the moment, trying to decide whether to stick it out with turbotax or dump the whole thing and look elsewhere!