Can't file 2019 taxes because I don't have the AGI from 2018 - exhusband not responding to requests for it

Hello!

My niece went though a contentious divorce in 2019, but her husband filed the 2018 taxes and just sent her what he said was her half of it.  She never saw her 2018 return.  Now, she can't efile to get the stimulus check because all sites require her to know her AGI from 2018 and he won't respond to her at all when she's asking him for it.  She requested a transcript from the IRS weeks ago, but it still isn't here.  What are the best options to get her taxes filed ASAP so her stimulus check doesn't get deposited into his account?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Without the AGI the only option is to print and mail file.  It normally takes about 2-3 weeks before the mailed return shows up but probably much longer right now.  Mailed returns should be sent with certified mail with tracking or other tracking service for proof of delivery.

**********************************************************************************************
**NOTE*** Due to the Corona virus the IRS is operating short staffed. All field offices are closed and some processing centers are all but closed. Any tax return that requires hand processing will probably have long delays. Most phone service has been curtailed.
**********************************************************************************************

Check your refund stratus here:
https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Check your state refund here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Do you think it would be helpful for her to go to a tax professional (HR Block or comprable) to file in person?  Or, would she still need that AGI from 2018?  I've never had my taxes done, so I'm not sure what all they need and if they would be able to efile for her.

Because in person tax professionals can verify your identity personally I believe they can e-file without the AGI.  However, because of the Corona virus many tax professionals are avoiding in person meetings or are closed.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

on a joint 2018 return you don't split income her agi is the same as what was reported on the 1040 line 7

since she is on the return, she may be able to get a transcript of the 2018 return which will show the AGI

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

by the way he may have been breaking the law by filing without her permission.  the problem would be proving that to the IRS  it would be a she says he says case. 

@Anonymous - The poster already said that a transcript was ordered weeks ago.  

@jenzebub Note though, unless you ordered the transcript using a 4506 form, but requested it online then the transcript will be sent to the address that was on the tax return.

Thank you!  We have an appt to do a drop off return at H&R Block tonight, so hopefully we can catch it before her stimulus check goes to him.