If I filed as a dependent, but nobody claimed me on their taxes can I still receive a COVID-19 stimulus check?

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you filed a return and claimed yourself as a dependent, that's all you have to do.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your response. So, that means I'm ineligible for the stimulus check right? 

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

Unless you amend your return to indicate that you are claiming yourself, you will not get the stimulus check.

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” 

If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.” You must file a separate Form 1040X for each tax return you are amending.

Amend ONLINE    OR     Amend CD/Download       Amend 2016 - 2019

You will have to mail the amended return.  The IRS limits the system to only one Social Security number or Tax ID  to be E-Filed.  This is to guard against fraudulent tax returns.

View solution in original post

Lbrev99

If I amended my taxes to claim myself as an independent because I wrongly filed as a dependent initially, when will I expect to get the stimulus check? Would it be after the 16 weeks it takes to get the return in the system?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you wanted the payment this year, you would need to amend your 2019 tax return. 

The stimulus payment is an advance on a tax credit for the 2020 tax year. If you are a dependent in 2019, but not in 2020, you will not receive a stimulus payment this year, but will receive one when you file your taxes next year. 

If you amend your 2019 tax return, you would not get the payment until after the return has processed. The IRS is not currently processing mail-in returns and amended returns are mail-in. Generally, a mail-in amended return takes 6 weeks to process, but at this point, it is impossible to tell how long it would take. 

@Lbrev99