Level 1

I claimed someone on my taxes and today they recieved a letter saying that they have to file their own taxes because of their 1095-A. What should I do?

Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes, they have to file their own return so that they can show form 8962 because their name is on the policy; however, that does not mean you have to amend your return if they indicate that they are being claimed as a dependent on their return.


Note that you may need to go back and update your 1095-A to show that you will take 100% of the allocation. In this case, your dependent will take 0%. This is normal for parents who actually got the Premium Tax Credit and dependents who didn't have anything to do with it.


Have them claim 0% on their 1095-A when they enter it. It's possible that IRS may eventually realize that the dependent asked for 0% allocation while you did not ask for 100% allocation, and they write you a letter asking you to update your 8962 form. If so, do whatever they ask.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post