I accidentally upgraded my account. How do I cancel to go back to my free account?

JamesALO

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

No problem. You can downgrade using the clear and start over feature. However, you will be required to restart your return. 

In TurboTax Online, you can erase your return and start from scratch as long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered.

1. If you haven't already done so, sign in at TurboTax.com and select the blue Take me to my return button.
  2. On the welcome back screen, in the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then select Clear & Start Over (click or tap the 3 lines in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

GEN86827

Answered by TurboTax FAQ to this question

I did so. Thank you so much.
However, it would be nice to have another way to do it which doesn't mean I have to do all over again. I had already finished every step and doing it all over again is not so nice.
JamesALO

Unfortunately, using the clear and start over feature is the only way to downgrade, which requires to restart your return. I'm sorry.

I accidentally registered, how can you help to go back to the free version?
fjulio077

I have the same issue and now I cant go back cause I already registered. And I was already registered when I accidentally upgraded so it makes no sense that I can't change it back.

Ryvis

They should be reported to the better business bureau. Getting trapped into an upgrade under the guise of a free tax preparation is unacceptable.

MarilynG1
Employee Tax Expert

@Ryvis See if you qualify for the Free File Program.  If so, your Federal and State returns are both free. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same thing happened to me and now I'm trying to get my money back. It's bs. I was tricked too.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

@ammiel-elia You will have to clear and start over.  As long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online.

1. Sign in and select a topic to continue your return.
  2. On the next screen, from the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then Clear & Start Over (select the menu icon in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

Hello and Ty for the reply. It won't let me clear my return yet it hasn't even been filed. It's at the part where I have to look it over so it's not filed yet. I tried to cancel with customer service minutes after I realized I was charged when I received my receipt and was given a code to send in a refund request. I was told there's no refunds for the online edition. Why was I charged before filing? I didn't want the deluxe edition and not sure how I was tricked into it. If I don't file with turbo tax, I would think they would have to refund me, right?. Ty again. Pam R

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please use the following link to contact us.

Let the agent know what is happening and they will be able to assist you. 

Contact TurboTax 

@catteyez88

euru

Just ran into this myself. Looks like it lets you downgrade on the checkout page, so you don't actually have to reset all the work you've done.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

You can view a breakdown of your TurboTax charges by signing in to your online return. Once you have signed in and selected to continue your return, select Tools from the My Account drop-down list in the upper right corner. In the pop-up window, select My Fees to get a breakdown of your TurboTax charges.

You can remove any add-ons before you pay by selecting:

•    Remove upgrade to Deluxe, Premier, or Home & Business

•    Remove MAX

•    Remove Refund Processing Service

•    Remove TurboTax State

•    Remove TurboTax Premium Service

•    Remove TurboTax Federal Free Edition PLUS

Click this link to learn how to remove Premium Fees

@euru