NJL44
Returning Member

e-file rejection after death - TurboTax clearly at fault

I have read another individual's post regarding this same issue. If I post, perhaps Intuit will wake up. My stepfather died in March of 2019. Last year's taxes were filed using TurboTax and I did so via e-file. I also filed them just after he passed so I informed the software he was dead. This year, same thing goes. He's dead. Software knows. I get to the end and to electronically sign the taxes and it shows my mother's name. It then populates her PIN, date of birth and today's date. Taxes get rejected. Reason is IND-031-04. I then verify 2018's AGI is correct and go through all the screens again. e-file rejects again. This is a constant loop. "Tax Experts" suggest I verify the AGI with the IRS so I created an account and verified the transcripts that are on file. Each time they suggest the same thing even though I tell them I've done this over and over. Then they suggest I print them. That's about 42 pages and no easy way to buy postage right now. COVID19 and all that. How about Intuit opens their eyes and sees that this problem is happening with more than one person AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND FIX IT. 

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I am sorry about your step-dad. Since the social security administration blocks the Social Security Numbers of deceased persons to prevent fraud, it is almost always impossible to electronically file a tax return that includes a deceased person.  Print the return and file by mail.  Don't forget to also print and mail your state return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have exact sameproblem  my wife passed and I get the smae errors   I cannot find any way to et help  I have ALS and cannot call to get any help   I can use text or emails but need help  the original return I mailed never got to IRS   and I would like to get my refund  I nned help from turbo tax     clearly tubo tax should refund purchase price if they cant fix  

Thanks   I understand  your reply to original post

llgrab
Returning Member

I'm having the same issue this year.  It seems like a company as large as Intuit could fix this issue instead of sending us in circles.  It could at least say that the return will have to be e-filed!  Very disappointed...especially after seeing this has been going on for years.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

First, I wanted to extend my condolences for your loss. 

May I get some elaboration on what you have going on and what steps you have completed?  Please respond here for further assistance.  

I do my parents taxes (married filing jointly) each year with TT.  My dad passed away in 2020 and I too was also getting the same error for AGI or Pin incorrect and getting rejected. My dad was always listed first when using the software.   I flipped it around so my mom was listed first in the personal info area, making sure to check that my dad died and the correct date of death. Also make sure birthdate for each person is correct. Along with that i had to change the 1099R and SSA information since the values had to match the correct person.  When submitting, I entered the AGI from the previous year,  entered my mom's 5 digit PIN, submitted and was accepted!!!! WOOHOO!!! 

Another reply from  TT  says order doesn't matter, but for me it did.  So put surviving person first, person who died second in the personal info area. Be sure to check wages/income to match the correct person as that doesn't seem to follow/update after you update the info section.  Use same AGI as previous yr. Good luck!

tjaco3850

I have the same issue.  I am unable to e-file after my father's death in 2020.  I understand I will have to print and mail.  How do I get a refund for the $25 I paid to file their state returns?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support via the link below to discuss your options. Use the keywords billing issues so you get to the right person. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@tjaco3850

tjaco3850

Update.  Fixed this thanks to suggestion from someone else on this thread.

I updated the personal info section to list my mom first and my dad second.  Also, the first time. I tried to file I indicated that my father was deceased but I had not indicated my Mom status as "Widowed" I updated her status to widowed and then went to e-file again.  I completed my mom's AGI info (driver's license info etc.) but left everything for my father blank.  Return was accepted!

tjaco3850

Update number 2.  I forgot to follow all instructions for fixing this.   You have to go through and update all the wage and income info to apply to the correct person after making the switch in personal info.  Anyone know how I go about submitting a corrected return after I have already e-filed?

if the numbers on form 1040 add up to the correct amounts,

it shouldn't matter how you assigned the income unless there are IRAs involved. I doubt IRS would raise an issue about it.

If they do, you can point out that numbers on 1040 are correct.