janaep1

Will I automatically get the self-employed tax credit? I am self-employed and now out of work due to the Coronavirus

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Any legislation is current. It does not apply to your 2019 tax return. In addition, many of the provisions require that you have employees.

Small Business

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

It hasn't been determined how the self-employed tax credit will be distributed.

See also this Help article:

How are my taxes affected by COVID-19?

The Treasury announced, at the direction of the President, that the federal tax deadline is extended to July 15, 2020.

Taxpayers getting a refund are encouraged to file their taxes now as the IRS expects to continue to process refunds as normal. TurboTax is open and ready to help you easily and accurately file your taxes.

Federal tax payments have also been deferred, interest and penalty free, for 90 days, until July 15. Individuals and self-employed taxpayers can defer up to $1 million for tax year 2019 federal tax payments. This deferment also applies to tax year 2020 estimated tax payments previously due on April, 15, 2020. Corporations can defer up to $10 million in federal payments.

Most states will conform with the new federal deadline of July 15. Check yours to see if their deadline has changed.

Will I have to pay penalties now that the filing deadline is extended?

Does this apply only to Tax Year 2019? What if I owe for previous years?

Will COVID-19 delay my refund?

Does the COVID-19 outbreak qualify as a natural disaster on 2019 taxes?

How does this impact quarterly estimated taxes?

Can I access a sick family member’s TurboTax account to help them prepare their return?

I can’t go to my usual tax preparer because of a city-wide shutdown. Can TurboTax Live help me?

Do I have until July 15 to contribute to my 2019 IRA?

If I still need more time, how do I file an extension?