Where do I find other childrens net qualified dividends/capital gain when turbotax sends me to 8615 line 5 worksheet but I don't have a line 5 worksheet for that child?

I'm asked to include information from each of my children's 8615 forms. This includes Net Qualified Dividends, Total Net Capital Gain, and Net Capital Gain. I'm told to find these on each child's form 8615 Line 5 worksheet. However, turbotax hasn't prepared these worksheets (assuming that's because I don't need the line 5 worksheet). So where do I find these numbers?
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The 8615 is generated from the information you enter about your child.

1. Start in the INCOME section
  2. Scroll all the way down to Less Common Income
  3. Select Child's income (Under age 24)
  4. Continue through the questions and enter any of your children's' information.

These entries will create the 8615.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What is the difference between Total Net Capital Gain and Net Capital Gain on form 8615?

Hi @John 

I have the same question, but your answer doesn't address the issue.  While filling out that section for "Child's Income (under age 24)", there is a screen that asks about "Information about Other Children".  It asks for Child's First Name; Form 8615, Line 4; and Form 8615, Line 5.  Those are all very easy to find on the other Child's tax return.  However, there are three lines "Net Qualified Dividends", "Total Net Capital Gain" and "Net Capital Gain".  There is a link to "Learn More" next to these three lines.  When I click on those, it refers to an 8615 Worksheet for Line 5 and Line H, Line O, Line R, Line B, Line I, Line P, Line S, etc...  I printed ALL related supporting schedules from my other child's tax return and the Worksheet Line 5 is not printing.  In addition, I looked at Form 8615 Instructions on the IRS website, and there is no mention of any lettered lines.  Can you please help?  How do I find the worksheet for line 5?  Can the instructions in TurboTax also be fixed to avoid others with similar questions?

I'm having the exact same problem - the worksheet for 8615 line 5 produced for one of my children, but not the other.  I've selected all worsheets, but it's still not producing.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

In order to assist you, I would like to take a look at your program to see what's going on, if that's okay with you.  This is called a diagnostic copy request. To send me a copy, here are the steps you would need to take on your end:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, select Tax Tools, click on the drop-down menu
  • Select Tools
  • On the Tools Center screen, select Share my file with Agent ( the very last option)
  • Follow prompts
  • You will be given a token number
  • Please provide me with that token number.  ( For security purposes, your personal information will not be revealed)

If you are using the desktop version, follow these steps:

• Open up your program if you have not done so
  • On your menu bar at the very top, click "Online"
  • Select "Send Tax File to Agent" and "Send"
  • The pop-up will have a token number

@rabask6310

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Something to understand.  If you choose the Pre-TCJA rate on the screen ( parents' rates), your parent's qualified dividends and capital gain information are relevant in the calculation.  Therefore, you will see the Qualified Dividends and Net Capital Gain worksheet line 5 information.  However, if you do not choose the Pre-TCJA rate, it will be calculated with the estate and trust rate.  Your parent's qualified dividends and capital gain information would not matter.  Thus, you will not see the worksheet line 5 related information.  

In your tax file, your tax due of $11 stays when you selected "No" to the question asks if you want to use the Pre-TCJA rate.  You would not see any /Qualified Dividends and Net Capital gain worksheet line 5 related information because they are not relevant.  The Trust and Estate's rate is used.   

You can test by choosing the other option.  With they are in a higher income tax bracket, your tax due will go up as your parents' rate is used.  Their qualified dividends and net capital gain information are taken into account in calculating your tax.  Therefore, you will see the worksheet line 5 information on the Form 8615 worksheet.

Hope this helps! 

@tmcgra1

I am having the same issue.

The bottom line is this is a bug that TurboTax should be fixing. Why would a software program tell people to look for the  information on Line 5 and there is no Line 5 worksheet getting generated to pull that information from.

How do we get TurboTax to fix the issue? I don't have confidence in a software program that is asking me to look for information that is not getting generated.

Agree with JH12661 - 1) TurboTax should not be asking for the information if you are choosing not to get taxed at parent rates and 2) if you are choosing to get taxed at parent rates, it should change the "lettered" lines on the worksheet to numbered lines, which is what is in the Instructions for Form 8615 worksheets!  (Note for anyone who is trying to find the appropriate line, it does seem to line up with Line A = Line 1, Line B = Line 2, etc...)

Disappointing that it is wasting everyone's time asking for the info (or trying to find the right line).  A simple "if/then" program can fix this!

I had the same issue and I can't figure it out and my child's tax return got rejected 2x from the IRS. They keep saying the calculation on Form 8615 is incorrect even though I followed the exact instructions on TurboTax and I don't have a Line 5 worksheet either.  Were you able to resolve this and file successfully?

Can someone at TurboTax please help.

Thanks

saundersm

I also am having this problem and my child's return has been rejected twice.  I'm going to leave those questions blank and see what happens since I have no Line 5 worksheet to reference.

so if you choose No , then you do not have to enter information on the 3 questions about other children... net qualified dividends, total net capital gain, net capital gain?

did anyone find the answer..my kids returns were rejected twice already...turbo tax is so complicated now...

Linaj2020: so you do not have to enter info on net qual dividends, total net cap gain, and net cap gain if  you select no on pre-tcja at beginning of 8615?