TurboTax Deluxe or TurboTax Premier

Not sure if this should be posted here or somewhere else, but I'm not finding the site easy to navigate. I've been reading conflicting information concerning TurboTax Deluxe and TurboTax Premier when it comes to which download can be used if you have security sales. The comparison says that Premier "Additional Help for investment sales such as stocks, bonds, royalties, mutual funds." I also have Schedule K-1 income.  I don't know additional help where investment sales are concerned, so does that mean I can download and use Deluxe? In prior years, I did use Deluxe when I had Schedule D transactions, then several years ago I was told I had to use Premier if I had Schedule D. I noticed under Deluxe, it lists Schedule D when I click forms. It would be really nice to save $30 if I can download Deluxe instead of Premier. To clarify, I'm talking about the download Deluxe and Premier, not the online.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

All versions of desktop software have all forms and schedules.  Start with Deluxe and upgrade if it becomes needed.  Several years ago there was a kerfuffle when Intuit took some of the forms and schedules away from Deluxe, but that was all changed and every version has all of them now.  You just get more guidance in the higher versions if you need it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

This would NOT be the case if you use online TurboTax.  If you use online, you would need Premier.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Ron H

I have been using Turbo Tax for 20 years. Until this year I have always purchased the CD from a big box store. We decided to use Turbo Tax Online this year. Because of one form (schedule D 1040) we were forced to purchase Turbo Tax Premier Online for $70. After completing and e-filing our taxes, we spoke with my sister-in-law. They were able to do the same thing with Turbo Tax Deluxe CD ($40) that they purchased. Since we have the same tax situation (they also had to file a sched. D because we all received a 1099-S), I called customer service and asked why I was not given the option to purchase Deluxe online but was instead directed to Premier at a higher price. Their response was "Turbo Tax Deluxe online is not the same as Turbo Tax Deluxe purchased from a store." This is a deceitful and misleading business practice that borders on bait and switch practices. Intuit encourages people to use their online software rather than purchase an actual CD knowing full well that they are charging almost twice the price of boxed software. At no time was I given the option or information that I could stop and buy the software (CD) for a lesser price and receive the same product and a cheaper state e-file. As it stands, Intuit charged me over $50 more for the same exact thing my sister-in-law did. When I spoke with Daleen with customer service, she freely admitted that Intuit was using these deceitful practices and kept insisting that "even though both products say Turbo Tax Deluxe, they were different and that online was not the same as buying the CD." I have purchased my last Intuit product and intend to dispute the charges with my credit card company. BUYER BEWARE!!! It is also very hard to review on the intuit website. Nowhere to post but you can sure find many glowing reviews! What a scam!

You can actually read on the packaging and descriptions of the software what forms are supported by the various versions of the software.  It is unfortunate that you did not do that.  There are many users who want to use the online software--some users are using mobile devices that cannot support desktop software, some are using online because their operating systems cannot support desktop, and for a great  many other reasons.  All of the desktop versions provide all of the forms and schedules; online is not the same.  The various online software versions only cover certain form and schedules, which is why you need to pay attention to which one you choose.  The forms each one supports are readily available on the site.

Click on details for any version

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/

I agree w/ Ron H.  I've used Deluxe as CD or download for a number of years and filed a Schedule E.   My bank offered the online version this year, so I started with Deluxe and was suddenly notified that I'd have to upgrade to Premiere to get a Schedule E.  What the heck?  Thankfully, my bank's offer didn't require payment until I actually file, so I'll just delete the info from the online version and purchase the CD.   Why on earth would you give the same name to two different products?  Confusing and irritating.   I've wasted time (thankfully, not money).   I don't like confusing (bordering on deceptive) marketing practices.   

By the way you don't  have to start over in the Desktop program.

You can move your Online file to the Desktop program and continue without paying for Online or needing to reenter your info. Post back if you need to know how to move it to your Desktop program.

To continue in the desktop version see this…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).

You can buy the CD/Download here,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download

mnpartha

I  am having a lot of trouble in downloading the premier. I need help

mnpartha

It is all very confusing. I just want to download Premier

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Once you've purchased the TurboTax Premier software, refer to the following FAQ for instructions on how to download to your computer:  How do I download the software I purchased at Turb ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"