How do I document a moving bonus that I had to repay an ex-employer?

In 2015, I was paid a moving/hiring bonus when I started a new job. However, I left the job in 2016 and had to repay half of that. How do I put that amount in my taxes as that was sent in a check directly to my ex-employer? (My ex-employer told me I don't have to file an amended return for 2015 but I can't find the letter they sent me.)
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If your repayment was more than $3,000, there are two possible ways of doing the calculation. 

Method 1 is to take a deduction, which is the simplest method but may not get you the full benefit.

To calculate the repayment as a deduction, (Method 1):
  • Federal taxes - Deductions & Credits - Check for More Tax Breaks - Other Deductions & Credits - Show more - Other Deductible Expenses
  • When you get to the screen that shows Less Common Expenses, click No
  • The next screen will have Any Other Deductions? at the top.  Please answer YES to "Did you have any other deductions that are not subject to the 2% limitation?"
  • Please enter the amount you repaid under, "Claim of Right Repayment (Only if over $3,000).

To explore the more complex route of calculating the credit, please refer to IRS Publication 525 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf)

NOTE: If you choose to follow the more complex route and use the credit:

For repayments of less than $3,000:
  • Federal taxes - Deductions & Credits - Check for More Tax Breaks - Other Deductions & Credits - Show more - Other Deductible Expenses
  • When you get to the screen that shows Less Common Expenses, click Yes
  • Enter a description and amount that you repaid; click Continue