Why can’t I e file my taxes

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

We can't see your tax returns. Please give additional details and the e-file rejection code(s) so we can help you.

Although millions of tax returns are successfully e-filed every year, some returns simply can't be e-filed or keep getting rejected even though there's really nothing wrong with them.

Returns cannot be e-filed if they:

Many nonresident and part-year state returns cannot be e-filed either, due to circumstances beyond our control (we'll let you know if your non- or part-year resident return must be paper-filed).

In addition, certain returns keep getting rejected because somebody already claimed a dependent on the return or because of incorrect information in the IRS database. In these cases, there's really nothing you can do to "fix" your return so you can e-file it. For this year at least, you'll need to file a paper return instead.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The program tells me that certain forms are not available for e-filing.  Why and how long will it be?

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

See the forms availability table for an updated list of when forms will be available. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"