mrb280

Change in LLC Status

I'm looking for advice on a change in status with my LLC.

When originally formed in 2009, my LLC had 2 partners.  At the end of 2017, my partner left the LLC and I am now the sole member.  We completed necessary document work to amend the articles of organization to reflect this change in status and they now show I am 100% operational and 100% financial owner.  We have a registered EIN on file.

We previously filed state and federal taxes as the LLC and generated a K1 for each of ourselves. 

I would like to maintain the LLC status.  If it makes a difference, we do pay sales tax to the state for our business.  

My question comes in for taxes for next year - will I still file state and federal taxes and generate myself a K1, or will I no longer file state and federal taxes as the business and instead report as self employment on my personal taxes?  This is in Pennsylvania if that would make a difference.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Your state should continue to recognize the LLC.

However, for federal income tax purposes, the partnership has dissolved/liquidated and the final partnership return should reflect that.  You need to review the rules and necessary computations for the dissolution of a partnership.

As a single member LLC, for federal income tax purposes, unless you elect to file as corporation, then you file a Sch C, as a disregarded entity.  A single member LLC cannot file a Form 1065 - the definition of a partnership means more than one partner.

Here is a link that can lead you to more information.  Look on the left side for further links.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p541

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**