Carl
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Overall it's a moot point to pursue from a tax standpoint, when the situation can be alleviated in 18-24 months for less than $1000. I know this because I've been through it personally. Only difference is, my lawn was over fertilized by the previous owner and the soil was so toxic that only highly acidic loving weeds would grow. I stopped putting down "any" chemicals and fertilizers for several years and spent those years cutting weeds, bagging the clippings and tossing them.  It was the summer of 2017 when soil testing indicated that toxicity levels were less than 1%. I put down a pre-emergent following the instructions in the fall of 2017. Come summer of 2018 the weeds were down by about 90% and the desired St. Augustine grass was working it's way in. I spent that summer cutting and bagging clippings. About a month ago I put down the pre-emergent again and I anticipate that by the end of the summer of 2019 the desired St. Augustine grass will begin overtaking and choking out the weeds. Now I have about 1/2 acre of lawn, and I anticipate in the spring of 2019 that I may need to get 1 pallet of sod which I will checkerboard in the dirt areas of the yard so as to help the natural process along. So even with the cost of a pallet of sod, my total costs of this entire multi-year process will still be under $1000.

Now it's taken me 5-6 years to get my lawn straightened out because my issue was toxins in the soil. Your issue is weeds, stickers and hitchhikers. That can easily be cleared up with proper care and treatment inside of 2 years.