Tax Year Prior to 2020: Is this true about topic 152?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Topic 152 always shows up when your return is accepted and you get your first bar. It is just tax refund info. Topic 203 is the bad one that means an offset meaning they are taking all or part of your return. 152 is generic info and nothing to worry about.

Tax Topic 152 does not always show up. If it does you need to call the IRS immediately. Don't make the same mistake I did. I listened to people on these boards say tax topic 152 is nothing. I got a letter from the IRS on the 16 of this month stating I need to verify Identity. I did just that and the lady told me it will be back in processing immediately. Well its not...... WMR still brings up TT152.... Call the IRS if you have any topic and be proactive. The IRS isnt going to track you down to give you your refund.

You having to verify identity has nothing to do with Topic 152 - click on the link it tells you about direct deposit generic information. 99% of the time 152 is nothing and every person that gets a direct deposit receives Topic 152 and it has been that way for years. If you have been sitting idle for a long time you should call IRS but don't call cause you get 152 - unless it has been awhile and no progress. Click on it and read what it says.

I RECIEVED MY STATE IN I GOT TAXTOPIC 152 IS THAT GOOD

got tax topic 152 last year, and also got it this year. I was stunned! 2 years in a row. While you might read all types of answers on this, that it is normal....blah, blah, blah  (it is not normal).  Basically your return has been pulled and is under manual review for some reason. Either randomly, or because the CADE II system, (Customer Account Data Engine) that process IRS tax returns, triggered on your return for some reason.  This could be because of the percentage of itemized deductions you took as compared to your income, mine was due to charitable contributions last year. I had to provide support of those contributions, It then took 2 months to process my return. I NEVER received a letter. I called IRS after my WMR kept saying TT 152 and my bars had disappeared. I’m wondering how many years it would’ve taken the IRS to contact ME, had I not been aggressive enough to contact them. Anyway, I took no charitable contributions this year, and still my bars disappeared and went to TT 152 yesterday. I’m depressed about this, as I had expected a quick refund, now I know I am looking at a minimum of 8 more weeks (based on last year).

Yes it does.   I am a retired IRS employee.  Tax Topic 152 usually means you must verify your identity.  In fact, even as an IRS employee, I received Tax Topic 152 several years ago.  If you wait for the IRS to send a letter it could be months.  My suggestion is be proactive and continuously call the IRS until you get through and verify your identify.  This verify identity usually occurs if you are using a different mailing address than you did the prior year, if you've had a name change, or if you have changed filing status (i.e. going from single to married or vice versa).  This is not a bad thing (Tax Topic 152) but it DOES require some sort of action on your part to verify your identity.

K

what number can we call and what option? My bard disappeared with TT152 but nothing about my return was changed other than getting the EIC .

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

You can contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 7 am to 7 pm.  The wait time is a little long so you might want to call first thing in the morning.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Great thank you so much Regina.. 

i just dont get why the bars disappeared with that topic 

I have tax topic 152, been staying in the same place for 4 years now! Haven’t changed anything, went threw identity theft in 2015 and I am still going through this! I have to use a pin to do my taxes! I just don’t understand 

I have 1 bar with tax topic 152, been like that since Feb 4! Do I have anything to worry about?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

No, nothing to worry about. Tax Topic 152 means you're getting a tax refund. That's it.  You should not expect your refund in anything less than 21 days according to the IRS.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Well I am getting different reviews.  Some are saying tax topic 152 means you need to send additional information