I have a w2 with no income but an amount in box 12a with initials DD do I have to report this w2

I did not earn any money . I had zero wages but I have 583.07 in box 12a with the code DD . Do I have to report this and why does it mean I  cannot e-file?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you have blanks or zeroes in other boxes, you can't e-file (invalid W-2) If you put $1 in box 1, you can (probably) e-file. HOWEVER, you don't have to enter that W-2 at all if the only amount on it is Box 12 Code DD. That just means your employer paid something for your health insurance, and is not used Anywhere on your return ...

View solution in original post

zbeezn

What if it has that but also has code C as well?

Box 12, Code C = Life Insurance. Otherwise, same answer as above.

Any recommendation if Box 1 is $0.00, and  Box 12 carries an amount that is coded "W" ?  (Employer contribution to a Heath Savings Account)

Am inclined to put $1.00 and overstate my income in box 1 as to not short the HSA contribution from being recorded. 

Thoughts?

Same as my original answer: Your employer-paid HSA Code W amount has already been reported to IRS. Yo do Not have to do anything to validate it. IF additional after-tax amounts were contributed, Then you'd want to reflect all contributions to validate you were under annual limit and get credit for amount Not paid through employer.

MVP75
Returning Member

Oxfordcats:

How did you solve this issue for your 2019 return?  Did you enter $1.00 into box 1 of the W-2?  Did you have any issues filing?

mail15

So, by putting $1 in the W2 box 1 for wages, it will raise my tax due by ~ $10 ... how is this possible?? the other option provided by Intuit is to not report the W2. And this whole thing is only to make possible to e-file the tax otherwise, I will have to mail some 40+ pages to IRS which probably cost me more than $10... 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

TurboTax calculates tax based on the tax tables. When you do that, income is taxed based on a range of income values, so if you add one dollar of income it can bump you up to the next range of numbers in the table. That can result in your tax increasing by more that the tax on the extra dollar of income.

If you enter the W-2 with $0 income in box one and your tax does not change, then you don't need to enter that W-2 form on your tax return.

@mail15

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mail15

Thanks. The problem was originated bc I am retired and received a W2 only for my HSA contribution and $0 wage or income which prompted TTax from e-filing and instead send my tax by mail. I am very skeptical that $1 in my income would bump me to the next bracket. To me it seems to me that the problem is in the software code for not allowing a situation of W2 like this and the band aid fix is to enter $1.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

This is indeed a work around from the IRS to allow citizens who would not normally be required, to file to e-file a return. This allows the IRS interface to accept the return.  You will find the details on page 15 of this document, which suggests to use $1 in taxable interest but $1 in your Form W-2 serves the same purpose.

IRS issued guidance for electronically filing $0 dollar returns.

CustomFit

It appears that the recommendation from TurboTax is to put $1 in box 1 of the W-2 (that only has a value in 12a - W) in order to get around not being able to file electronically.  The other option was to not include the W-2.  But if I delete the W-2, I can't seem to populate Form 8889.  To confirm, I have income from a pension (1099-R) and a W-2 that only has a value in 12a - W; since I cannot file electronically with a W-2 with no income listed, you are recommending I put $1 in box 1 of the W-2 and that the IRS is okay with this (the link provided by another responder appeared to suggest that it was only for people with $0 AGI) and that this will allow me to file electronically.  (Unless there is a way to manually complete Form 8889 without including a W-2.)  Thank you!

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you have another W-2 from this employer with an amount in Box  1, you could enter it with the Box 12a, Code W amount from the second W-2. 

If not, you could add $1 to Box 1 and add the W-2 with the Box 12a, Code W amount.

OR, in the HSA interview, when TurboTax asks if your employer told you about any other HSA contributions answer Yes, then enter the code-W amount in the box for Employer and payroll contributions not reported in Box 12 of your W-2 (then don't enter your W-2). 

Click this link for more info on W-2 With Box 12a, Code W only.