Tax Year Prior to 2020: Cannot submit tax return

I am all tax return entry done and about submitting tax return to Federal and State.  After hitting the submit button, it said that the update is available, please install updates and submit the return.  I checked the online update but my software is updated.... I tried restart computer and turbo tax but it keeps saying I need to install the update in order to submit my tax return... How should I do???

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

This generally happens when the federal and/or your state return has forms on it that have not been finalized which means the IRS and/or your state cannot accept the e-filed return at this time. 

Please click here for IRS forms: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

please click here for state forms: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks!

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

If you select the Transmit Returns Now button, and it doesn't seem to be working, the most likely source of the problem is “cookies,” little pieces of code that are sent to your browser so we can personalize your experience.

1. If you've enabled pop-up blocking in your web browser, please turn it off and try again.
  2. If it's still not working, try again using a different web browser. (For example, if you're using Chrome, try using Explorer or Safari instead.)
  3. If those suggestions didn't help, try going back to your first browser and delete cookies.

What you should be seeing is a "captcha," screen, which helps prevent fraud by asking you to identify pictures before you can proceed.

If this does not work, you may need to Print and Mail your return. Instructions on where to mail your return will be printed out when you print your return

ed13901

I have the same problem.  Cannot submit due to updates required, when I check my software is up to date.

I've rebooted my computer several times, and still have the same issue.

How can I fix this issue?

Will Turbo Tax correct this issue?

Thank you, Ed

RobertG
Expert Alumni

This is a known issue.  When attempting to e-file a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software, this message appears:

There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you’ll need to get this update. To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates.

However, after updating, the same message continues to reappear, resulting in an endless loop.

Workaround

Some customers have been able to successfully e-file with this workaround:

1. Follow the steps in the article Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows updating issues.
  2. Now try e-filing again. If that didn't work, first uninstall and then reinstall your TurboTax program.
  3. Finally, if you're still unable to e-file after following the above steps, you can either sign up to be notified by email when a fix has been released, or you can file a conventional paper return.

This question was previously answered by DawnC

Thanks!  I tried all including uninstall and reinstall turbo tax but still the same, keep asking me to update before submitting e file....

I signed up to be contacted by email... I will wait for their response or paper file it this year......

I have same Issue,  did try all of those suggestion but still getting same error.!!!! 

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

We apologize for any inconvenience this experience has caused and we are working diligently to help the returns get filed. In the FAQ below, you can click on a link to receive an update once this has been corrected. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Please see the FAQ for assistance:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-desktop-windows-update-loop-at-e-file/00/...

omar5401

its saying i submitted another tax return but i never submittedcan you tell whats going on