schedule CA540 line 4c

Box 17 does not have  and entry in it on 1099r      Does that mean it is a subtraction  on schedule ca540?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Boc 17 on a 1099-R is local tax distribution.   That would only have an entry if you live in a locality that has a local tax (very rare).   A blank box 17would have nothing to do with the CA 540 form.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

my mistake,   BOX 14     state distribution has no amount in it.      I am wondering if it is NOT state Taxed because no entry.    

State tax withheld is in box 12.   Any box 12 tax withheld will appear as a state tax credit on the CA 540 form.   As long as there is only one state in box 12 then box 14 by default is understood the be the same amount as box 1 so financial institution always leave box 14 blank.   Only if box 12 & 13 had two different states would the put the amount of the box 1 distribution allocated to each state in box 14. 

(There is at least one state - NY - that complains about a blank box 14 so in that case just make box 14 the same as box 1)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

THANK YOU SO MUCH!      End result,   not a subtraction due to omission of amount in box 14,    I thank you for your time