motz0613
Returning Member

AGI

How do I just get my husbands AGI when we filed jointly for 2018? When I put in the answer on question 7 they say it is wrong

TomK100
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you filed your federal return last year with the filing status "Married Filing Jointly", then you are going to put the same number for both your AGI and your spouse's AGI, even if your spouse did not earn any money last year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
motz0613
Returning Member

I tried putting the AGI from line 7 from 2018 return in for 2019 but they keep rejecting it saying it is wrong. I have no idea how to break it down

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you put in the Adjusted Gross Income from your 2018 Form 1040, Line 7, and it is still not accepting it, you may have to file by mail.

There is no way to break down the AGI number. If your AGI from a Married Filing Jointly return is $XX,XXX, then it is that same figure for both you and your husband, just as TomK100 says above. 

If you amended your 2018 return, or if the IRS adjusted your return, you should use the latest data for the Adjusted Gross Income.  

You can use the IRS Get Transcript tool to get the data the IRS has. Try the online option first. If you are unable to obtain the transcript online, you can have one sent to the address the IRS has on record for you. You can find IRS Get Transcript here.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

There are a few possible reasons why you’re still getting an e-file reject. 

If you: 

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0. 

• Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A). 

• Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less. 

• Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2018 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you).