I want to change product selected

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you have not paid for the TurboTax version you are currently using you may start over by using the Clear & Start option to change your version of TurboTax.

• With TurboTax open select tax tools in the left-hand panel.  

• Then select Clear & Start Over.  

• Select yes when asked are you sure you want to clear your return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What the heck does "with TurboTax open" mean?  I keep opening numerous Turbo Tax web sites and nowhere is there anything about "Clear & Start over". 

@ joe2sail wrote:

What the heck does "with TurboTax open" mean?  I keep opening numerous Turbo Tax web sites and nowhere is there anything about "Clear & Start over". 

Assuming you're using Online TurboTax (not the desktop software), it means with the 2019 return open.   Once you log in and open the 2019 return, see the left column menu.   See image below:

ClearStartOver.png

Well, I am not using On Line Turbo Tax and am not working on 2019.  I'm using desk top and preparing for 2020.  Nowhere in the helpful hints did it imply it applied only to on line.  I have just wasted about two hours bouncing around the various TurboTax sites and all I am trying to do is change from TurboTax Advantage for 2020 since we are no longer self-employed.  I was just trying to find what is the best alternative since there is no longer small business involved.  Just found a complete lack of assistance.  You would think the company would somewhere provide an old fashioned telephone number.

Thanks for the reply but only the final link applied to my question and this is what I got when I clicked on the link: 

We couldn’t find that answer for you    Use the Back button to try again.
So now what?

This link works perfectly for me

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-update-or-confirm-the-info-in-my-...

In fact all four of those links work.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for all the advise but none of it works.  I have now given up trying to change the Turbo Tax product.  I'll just pay extra for something I don't need.

@joe2sail wrote:

Thanks for all the advise but none of it works.  I have now given up trying to change the Turbo Tax product.  I'll just pay extra for something I don't need.

TurboTax support FAQ for cancelling an Advantage subscription - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-cancel-my-turbotax-advantage-subscriptio...

To cancel your subscription, simply remove all products in your TurboTax Advantage account:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Advantage.
  2. Select TurboTax Advantage on the right side of your screen.
    • If you only see Sign up now, your subscription is already canceled or you're in the wrong account. Use our Account Recovery tool to get a list of all your TurboTax accounts, then sign in under the right account.
  3. Select Remove product under each product listed
  4. Once all products have been removed, you'll see the Sign up now button. This means your subscription has been canceled.

Tip: If you missed the cancelation deadline for this year's TurboTax product, simply wait until you receive your CD or download, then submit an online refund request within 60 days of receiving your product.

How do I re-enroll?

To re-enroll, sign in with your existing login and select Sign up now. Do this by November 4 if you want to pre-order the 2019 tax year product.

After November 4, only 2020 tax year products are available for pre-order in TurboTax Advantage. The 2019 version will be available for purchase at TurboTax.com.

Received a message from Turbo Tax indicating I did something right and have been unenrolled from Advantage.  I tried to subscribe to a different product but all it seemed to do was enter me into the on line program.  Guess I'm old fashioned but I want to download the program to my own computer. That doesn't appear to be offered anymore  Thank you to everyone who took the time to help me in this frustrating mission.

@joe2sail wrote:

Received a message from Turbo Tax indicating I did something right and have been unenrolled from Advantage.  I tried to subscribe to a different product but all it seemed to do was enter me into the on line program.  Guess I'm old fashioned but I want to download the program to my own computer. That doesn't appear to be offered anymore  Thank you to everyone who took the time to help me in this frustrating mission.

Just re-enroll -

How do I re-enroll?

To re-enroll, sign in with your existing login and select Sign up now. Do this by November 4 if you want to pre-order the 2019 tax year product.

After November 4, only 2020 tax year products are available for pre-order in TurboTax Advantage. The 2019 version will be available for purchase at TurboTax.com.

Or wait until mid-November when the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions will be available for tax year 2020.  Then purchase from the TurboTax website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

There is a typo in the re-enrollment notice.  It should read 2020 and not 2019.

This is how it should read...

How do I re-enroll?

To re-enroll, sign in with your existing login and select Sign up now. Do this by November 4 if you want to pre-order the 2020 tax year product.

After November 4, only 2021 tax year products are available for pre-order in TurboTax Advantage. The 2020 version will be available for purchase at TurboTax.com.

The "Advantage"  program is really just a marketing tool to capture market share before the program is available thus locking you into the TT product as most users will not try to cancel the service in a timely manner.  For instance if you order it now, and you are charged when the program download is available sometime in November the refund policy only gives you 60 days from purchase to ask for a fee refund and since most of the forms are not operational until late January ( or later)  the window for a refund of fees has effectively closed ... what a good deal for Intuit. 

IMHO  there is no real advantage to the ADVANTAGE program any longer  so just buy the program from a reputable reseller for less  and cancel your advantage account.   Many legitimate resellers have discounts on the program and the price usually goes down as the season continues ( cheaper in March than in December) but beware of deep discounts from unknown sources as they could have malware or worse imbedded in them ... if the price sounds too good to be true it is.    AND  all the downloaded programs have all the same forms so save a few bucks and just but the Deluxe (Basic if you don't need a state program) and watch closely as the Deluxe is sold outside of TT  system both  with & without the state program. 

There are only 3 so called "advantages" any longer  ...  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/advantage/

1) phone support from a dedicated number (word in the forum is you don't get any faster service using that number) even if you remember there is a dedicated line to call ( most do not). 

2) free shipping/download as soon as it is available  ( most places give free download ... and you don't really need the CD ever as it only has the beta version of the program on it anyway ... after installation you always have up update it  AND  no one needs the first beta version of the program in November which is not really fully operational until late January at the earliest ... some forms & states  not until March some years.  If you need to do any tax planning for the next tax year you need to use the prior year program which is already fully operational)

3)  free re-downloads for 3 years  ... all sellers do the same or you can always ask TT for another download for free

Thank you.  Now it all makes sense if anything can make sense in this senseless world.