jammccrmc

I automatically receive turbo tax deluxe every year. My sister wants me to do her taxes. She only needs basic turbo tax. Do I need to purchase another disc?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

No, you can use your CD to prepare unlimited returns and to e-file up to 5 federal returns.  That's one of the advantages of using TurboTax Desktop (CD/Download) platform.   And your Deluxe CD is one "level" up from Basic, so you're in good shape. 

You'll select "Start a New Return" in your TurboTax program and work through the interview on your sister's return.  

*Please click the thumbs-up icon if this response was helpful.
**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

If you have desktop software (CD/download) you can prepare multiple returns.  You get up to five free federal e-files.  If you prepare a state return there is a fee to e-file the state but you can avoid the fee if you print and mail the state instead of e-filing it.

Any version of desktop software has all the forms and schedules.  It will be fine for your sister's return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Be sure to save your return with a unique name to tell them apart.  Go up to File-Save As.  Each tax return is saved as a separate file ending in .tax2019.