pcarr1016

I moved out of my parents house in May 2016. I never changed my address anywhere. Is there gonna be any trouble when I try to file hoh and claim my sis and her 2 kids?

I never actually changed my address on my license, with the post office, or at my job. I planned on filling head of household at my sisters house, whom I now live with, and claim her and her 2 kids as dependents. She hasn't had a job all year and I've been supporting them since I moved in.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The address issue, alone, should not cause you a problem. But combined with the other issues, you audit risk will go up.

You'll be claiming Head of Household (HoH) in a home you don't own and were in less than 8 months with dependents you  supported less than the full year.

The claim your sister, you will have to have provide more than half her support. You do not need to have provide more than half the kids support to claim them.The main requirement is that you lived with them for more than half the year.

View solution in original post

pcarr1016

I have provided all of the support for them since may. I pay the rent and utilities and child care for the girls. She's been unemployed all year. But I don't wanna risk getting audited because I didn't think to change my address. Should I just claim my nieces then?
Hal_Al
Level 15

No, you should always claim everything you are entitled to. Just try to b prepared to prove it. For example don't give money to your sister to pay the rent; write a check to the landlord.  Although your audit risk is relatively high; percentage wise it's till low (less than 10% chance).

Why is ther child care for the girls, if she's not working?  Your next question may be: can you claim the day care credit?
pcarr1016

Thank you you've been very helpful. The child care was only for occasional about $500 in total while she was out looking for a job. I always pay my landlord in cash but I have receipts dating back to June. Also a lease agreement would that be enough proof?
Hal_Al
Level 15

You can't claim the child care credit since it wasn't fto allow you to work. . But the $500 does count as support you provided, just like rent & utilities.