Entering fellowship income - Scholarship not working.

I receive taxable fellowship income. I do not receive a W2 or 1090T for this income. In previous years, you could enter this as scholarship income in the tax credits section and it would be properly added as "SCH" income to line 1 on the 1040 form. This year, this is not working. After adding the scholarship income in the education section, the income is not added to the 1040 form. How do you report this income in turbotax this year? I have seen alternate methods involving 1099-MISC forms, but this requires you to upgrade; this was not required in previous years.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Enter it under Education in the Deductions & Credits section.

I did a test and it does seem more complicated than last year, but still basically the same. Since you do not have a 1098-T, you still need to add yourself as a student and enter all the other information as if you are about to enter a 1098-T, but you'll say you don't have one and that you don't have an exception. 

Then you continue. 

A screen will ask if you have a scholarship, fellowship or grant to declare, you say yes. Enter the amount, answer more questions and it is listed as "Scholarship" on line 1. 

"Be sure to enter it separately, not on the 1098-T screen.

Click Federal on the left side-bar

Click Deduction & Credits along the top

Scroll down to the Education Section (Click “Show All" if needed)

Click Start or Revisit next to “Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)"

Even if you don't have a 1098-T to enter, continue as if you will.

You will get to a screen where you finally say you don't have a 1098-T and you don't have an exception

The program will ask for additional expenses

Next, the program asks for Scholarships and Grants

Answer "Yes" and Scroll down and Enter the scholarship amount in the proper box and Continue

Answer the questions carefully

The scholarship will be reported on line 1 of the 1040"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Thanks for the response, and detailed instructions.