Should I use 5a or 5b on my Fed. return from last year on this year's return when asking about line 5?

This year, it says to see if Line 5 is "checked."  There is 5a & 5b.  Both have amounts in them.  Should I use 5a or 5b?

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If this is in reference to your state tax refund, you would only be concerned with 5a. 

If this is something else, please update your question. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can't find the information on 5a of Fed return Schedule A that concerns the state refund???? This is the worst year that I have using Turbo CD.  I may have to use a human next year to my dismay!!!!!!!!!!!  DO I ANSWER NO EVEN THO I DID RECEIVE A STATE REFUND. UNFORTUNATELY FOR ME MY PRINTER MALFUNCTION LAST YEAR DOING MY 2018 RETURNS THEREFORE I DO NOT HAVE A COMPLETE COPY OF MY RETURN BECAUSE IN THE SUMMER OF 2018 MY COMPUTER DECIDED TO CRASH...ERGO ALL OF TAX INFO DISAPPEARED.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you did not used  itemized deductions on your 2018 tax return and used the standard deduction you do not report your state tax refund on your 2019 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I DID USE ITEMIZATIONS FOR 2018 BUT THE 5A THAT I SEE CONTAINS MORTGAGE INFO NOT STATE INFO. DOES THAT MEAN I DO NOT ANSWER THIS QUESTION THAT WAS ASKED OF ME IN THE TURBO FORM???????????????????

Your 2018 federal schedule A doesn't look like this?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa_18.pdf