klbrogan

Form 5049 my husband and I did live together all year, but wants explanation we maintained seperate homesteads?? How do I fix this error?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Are you filing separately?  If not, you need to go back through your Missouri return again because something is not right.  If you lived together all year, you should not be seeing that form (unless you are filing separate).   Sign in to TurboTax and click on State in the left menu.  Then, choose Review/Edit your Missouri return.   It may say Go back over your Missouri return.  You may need to check over your federal too in case the error is coming from something you indicated on the federal return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
klbrogan

I live in Michigan,  we do file separate.  I have gone back through state retur.  I find no spot that asked if we lived together.  On my federal return it did ask that and I stated we did love together.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I see Michigan and Missouri use the same form number.  I can't find that field when I try to recreate the situation.  Is it possible to indicate that you live together on the form in the explanation area?  Another option is to delete the state return and start it over.  Sometimes that works.  If you do try it, delete the state and then go back through the federal before starting the Michigan return again.  

chadwardie
Returning Member

I also live in MI and am married filing separate and it's making me put in an explanation for why we lived apart when we didn't. Also, the form is completely empty and it won't let me edit and add any of the income numbers into the form. I can't search the form within the return and nowhere in the return did I select that we lived apart. It's doing this in both my return and my wife's return and won't let us get past the review stage to file. 

I've tried deleting the state return and starting it over but it's still there. There is some sort of bug in your programming that is requiring this form when it isn't needed or won't let you edit the form within the return. 

coxkjc

Any update on this?

I am having the same issue. Filing Separately. Live in Michigan. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

In the MI interview follow these steps:

1.  Click "Edit" for "Credits and Taxes"

2.  "Revisit" Homestead Property Credit" 

3.  Click  "Yes" for "Household resources"

4.  Click "Yes" for "Do you meet the qualifications?"

5.  Continue to answer and select appropriate boxes

6.  When you come to page titled "Homestead Property Tax Credit"  It asks "Did you live on separate properties?" Answer "NO"

BeckH83

It looks like I’m not able to update the homestead property tax credit page as I’m not eligible as my income is greater than the $60k limit.   Any other options to correct this form?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you are not eligible for the credit and it is giving you a hard time, I would delete the form. 

To Delete Form 5049 for TurboTax Online:

• In the left-hand black menu, choose Tax Tools then Tools.
  •  Click on Delete a Form from the window that pops up.
  •  You should now see the Review Form List. Scroll down the list until you get to the state forms. Click Delete on Form 5049.
  • You may get a pop up telling you additional worksheets and forms are being deleted. Approve and click delete.
  • You should come back to the Review Form List. Scroll to the bottom and click Continue with My Return.
kgebner

I am also having trouble with this process. I am married but are filing separately. We lived together in 2019. I have tried following your steps, but now there isn't a 5049 Form listed to be deleted.

What do you suggest I do next?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Form 5049 is a state specific form. Are you receiving an error regarding this form number? If you are trying to delete the form, it would be listed in the state's forms list. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting the same error. I think TurboTax needs to fix the issue since it is not picking the right options. Can TurboTax create an update and fix this issue?

To explain: My wife and I are full residents in Michigan owning a home. The home and the income does not qualify for the HomeStead. However, for some reason, TurboTax is trying to and it is asking for an explanation why we maintained separate homesteads.

Just a TurboTax issue

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

TurboTax only calculates this information if you are living separately. I recommend these steps to troubleshoot the prompts you're getting about Household Resources when the credit does not apply in your circumstance:

1. Check your input about Married Filing Separate

• From the left menu, select My Info
  • Make sure that you have answered the questions about Married Filing Separately accurate to your situation

2. TurboTax Online: Go back to Michigan if you want to "untrigger" the questions. This is an optional step. You could go straight to Step 3.

• Option 1: You do not need Form 5049
    • From the left menu, select State
    • Continue
    • Michigan and click Continue
    • On the Your 2019 Michigan taxes are ready for us to check page, scroll to Credits and taxes and select Edit
    • Under Personal, home and family credits, find Homestead Property Tax Credit and select Revisit
    • Do you want to review your total household resources? Select Yes
    • Location of Property Click No
    • Homestead Property Tax Credit - Identified that you do not qualify for the credit. Click Continue
    • Click Done with credits and taxes
  • Option 2: You DO need Form 5049
    • From the left menu, select State
    • Continue
    • Michigan and click Continue
    • On the Your 2019 Michigan taxes are ready for us to check page, scroll to Credits and taxes and select Edit
    • Under Personal, home and family credits, find Homestead Property Tax Credit and select Revisit
    • Do you want to review your total household resources? Select Yes
    • Location of Property Click Yes
    • Any of these sources of household resources? Answer and click continue
    • Enter Medical Insurance or HMO Premiums Answer and click continue
    • Homestead Property Tax Credit Click No; you will get a screen telling you to file the MI-1040CR manually, which you do not need to do 
    • Total Household Income Required click Continue
    • Click Done with credits and taxes
    • Married Filing Separate Click Yes, enter the dates you lived together and click Continue
    • Prorate your income on Form 5049 and click Continue

3. TurboTaxOnline: Delete the Michigan Forms related to the Homestead Property Tax Credit

• From the left menu, select Tax Tools
  • Tools
  • Delete a form
  • Scroll to the Michigan forms in your return.
  • Michigan Household Resources Worksheet, if you otherwise do not need this form for the MI-1040, click Delete and confirm you want to delete it
  • Form 5049, if you otherwise do not need this form for the MI-1040, click Delete and confirm you want to delete it
  • MI-1040CR click Delete and confirm you want to delete it

4. TurboTax CD/Download: As @zerotaxesplease suggests, in Forms mode, go to Form 5049 and click Delete Form in lower left corner. Repeat the process for MI-1040CR.

Click the links if you are interested in additional details:

Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit Summary Information

2019 MI-1040CR Instructions 

2019 Form 2105 and Instructions Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credits for Separated or Divorced Taxpayers

2019 Form 5049 and Instructions Worksheet for Married, Filing Separately and Divorced or Separated Claimants

[Edited 3/24/2020 | 3:06 PM PST]

I’m a Michigan resident and am experiencing the same problem. This troubleshooting does not take you to the right screen/forma. There is no option to get to form 5049. Can someone please fix this glitch? Otherwise I’ll have to print out the return and edit by hand and send via mail... kind of defeats the purpose of using TurboTax. Pretty disappointing...

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Please explain further. You are not getting Form 5049. What about the federal return? Are you okay there? 

• If yes, then
    • Delete Michigan by going to the beginning of the State section and clicking Delete next to Michigan
    • Sign out of TurboTax
    • Close your browser window
    • Re-open a browser using incognito Chrome
    • Re-add Michigan by returning to the State and clicking Add a State
    • Then, please see if the steps above work for you
  • If no, then go to your My Info section and verify you are identifying as Married filing separate after the Taxpayer details.

Either way, please reply in this thread so we can resolve these unexpected results. We are happy to help.

@Shannonkp77