I have F-1 visa and I'm filing my tax return using Turbo Tax. Everything has been accepted so far. But should I do them with 1042 instead of using Turbo Tax?

Hello, I'm from South Korea and came to Utah with F-1 visa in April 2014. And, I never have changed my visa info for more than 5 years. I'm still a university student and the college gave us 1098-T form this year for the first time. So, I think I don't have to file tax with 1040NR, but I want to make sure about them. What should I do with my statue? Is it still ok to file my tax with Turbo Tax like other people? I can't find any stage that I provide my visa info while doing Turbo Tax. Where to enter the visa thing in? If I can file my tax with Turbo Tax in the same way, I want to know my Utah Residency Status. Am I Full-Year Resident, Nonresident, or Part-Year Resident? I stayed and worked in Utah more than 9 months in 2019. 

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You can use TurboTax this year.  You are a US tax resident for 2019 as you have been on a an F-1 visa for 5 years as of December 31, 2018.  So your US tax residency start date is January 1, 2019. 

No visa information is required.  The 1040 does not ask about a visa as it is for US citizens and US residents.. You also do not need to file Form 8843 now that you are a US resident.

You need to file a Utah resident return as you maintained a place of  abode in Utah and spent 183 days or more in the state during the year. 

According to the State of Utah:

You maintain a place of abode in Utah and spent 183 or more days of the taxable year in Utah

Utah residency is defined on the following page, Test 3 (second from the bottom in the list)

Utah State Tax Commission Residency and Domicile

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post