cgoochrn

While trying to file my return it’s stating a form 8917 isn’t available yet. I’m not sure what this form is for?

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Form 8917 is the tuition and fees deduction. It is scheduled to be released by the IRS on January 27, 2020. If they release it then, Turbo Tax will work quickly to incorporate it into the program. Here is a link you can check for updates. The release date is always a little fuzzy.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is confusing...the paper form seems to be available: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8917--2020.pdf

But the turbotax website says neither electronic or paper file is available until feb 5, 2020:

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_windows_individual.htm...

Which is it? I am wondering if I should just take this out and file an amendment later to get the tuition deduction.

tax3743493839
Returning Member

You are correct.  The IRS released this form on 1-24-2020. TurboTax is just behind.  I tried to cancel my order so I can go with someone else (so I can file tomorrow) and got a shady, pushy "run-around" with conflicting responses that made no sense.  So disappointed! Im telling everyone. 

tax3743493839
Returning Member

The form was released and posted by the IRS on 01-24-2020.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The fact that the forms are available on the IRS website has nothing to do with any tax software program.  The forms are available if you are going to download to complete on your own.  However, e-filing is different.  Once the form is finalized by the IRS, it has to be coded into the special language the software uses and has to be thoroughly tested for calculations and e-filing acceptability.  IRS then has to approve it for e-file.  It always takes a little longer for a form to become available for e-file in a software program.  I hope this helps you understand the situation.  At this point, the IRS expects to approve the form 8917 on TurboTax e-file as  02/05/2020.  

@mindyjbaker @tax3743493839

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"