Spouse death

Do I enter spouse' broker for tax information?

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes you need to enter your spouse's broker information.  When your spouse dies you can still file in the year of death as Married Filing Joint.  Any tax document that comes in their name needs to be included on that return.

Click here to learn more about filing with a spouse who died

Sorry for your loss

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

I missed a call from Diane. (I  don't generally answer phone since I have @ 10 robot calls a day).  I assume I use the joint 2019 account in TurboTax as we did in the past?  There was only one husband account (an IRA) which I have now transferred to my broker.  I have no record of this account, since the broker holding it seems to have sold everything before the financial transfer.  At age 86 I have to learn a lot!

Anna Haupt

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can continue to use the joint 2019 account in TurboTax.  

There's no reason to change the name order on a joint return filed with a deceased spouse. When you enter or review his or her info, just make sure you check Passed away before filing this return and enter the date of passing.

Changing the name order may cause delays in processing your tax return.

For further information please see this TurboTax link: Should I change the name order on a joint return with a deceased spouse?

pdowell
Returning Member

Can i use money spent on my husbands funeral arrangements?

@pdowell wrote:

Can i use money spent on my husbands funeral arrangements?

Sorry, no.  Funeral expenses are not deductible on a tax return.

Beth5904

Do you send a death certificate with your tax return?  Also, for signature leave his blank?

Thank you

BillM223
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to send a death certificate; just tell TurboTax in the My Info or Personal Info that your spouse is deceased. 

If you are filing married joint (which you are allowed to do in the year of his/her passing), then sign your name in the taxpayer space and in the other space sign your spouse's name followed "by [your name] as surviving spouse".

Please accept our condolences for your loss.

DCannonIL

The IRS has REJECTED my e-filing of my tax return because they cannot confirm the identity of the deceased spouse?  TurboTax ONLY asked me to provide the PIN, Drivers license, expiration date on DL and Issue date on DL for me, the surviving spouse.  Can I not e-file when the spouse died?