Why does SSA-1099 say do not attach to income tax return? I am mailing tax returns.

I just got an SSA-1099. It says it is a Social Security Benefit Statement. On the back it says info is for my records, Do not attach to your tax returns. I am mailing my federal state and city tax returns. I don't understand why I am not suppose to include copies of this in all my tax returns as it IS income I am reporting. And also it only shows 1 copy! Not 4 like a W2 does (one to keep then one for fed, state and city tax returns) Tried asking about this as a followup question to another I posted but I was not sure about response I got. I did have federal taxes withheld from the pay listed in box 6.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You only need to attach a copy of a document that shows tax withheld to your tax return.  Did you have tax withheld from your Social Security benefits?  If no tax was withheld then you do not attach it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes, in box 6 says voluntary federal income tax withheld. and then the amount.

But why does it say for records only and do not attach to tax returns on the back of the statement if I am suppose to.  Is this just a statement for records and i possibly have another SSA-1099 used for sending with taxes to fed state and city? This is why I am confused. 

You can xerox a copy of it and attach it to your Form 1040 if it shows tax withheld.  Really--you have had several replies to this same question.  You are overthinking it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Mlu24

Should I send a copy of my form SSA-1099 with payment to IRS?

@Mlu24 Are you filing by mail?   Did you have tax withheld from your Social Security benefits?  When you mail a tax return you attach W-2's and 1099's that show tax withheld.  If no tax was withheld from your SS, then you do not include it the SSA1099 with the Form 1040 that you are mailing.

@Mlu24 Just in case you are filing by mail and your ONLY income was Social Security----first of all you are not required to file if your only income was SS.  But if you really want to file anyway, an allowable trick that will let you e-file is to enter $1 of interest.  Then you can e-file instead of having to mail it.

The IRS does not require you to file this for.  It is just an information form for what to enter on your return.

The IRS already has this information on you.

Right.  I think even if you have withholding on the SSA-1099 you don't need to include a copy if you mail your return.  The IRS matches directly with Social Security and don't need to verify your withholding like from W2s which can be faked.