rein15

What if I don’t have a control number on my my W-2

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You don’t need it to file a return. If you're trying to import your W-2 and you are asked for a Control Box D, and you don’t have one, select Skip import and manually enter your W-2. You won't be able to import using the 5 digit + space + 5 digit solution for e-filing.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The control number is not required. If you are entering your W-2 manually, and there is no control number on the W-2 form that you got from your employer, just leave the control number blank in TurboTax.

If you are trying to import your W-2 and it is requiring you to enter the control number, you would have to talk to your employer. Sometimes an employer tells TurboTax to require the control number for importing, but then doesn't put a control number on the W-2. The employer has to straighten out the error. But it would be faster and easier for you to just enter the W-2 manually instead of trying to get your employer to fix the problem.

How can I continue if my box D is blank on my w-2?

Leave it blank in the software.   You are not required to enter a control number.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Turbo tax is forcing me to input a control number and won't accept 12345 as instructed in a different post. Let me know what I'm missing.  Thanks!