How can I allow my wife to access the return I'm working on, from another computer, in another state?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you are using online TurboTax all she needs is the account and user ID.  If the two of you start entering information --be careful -- make sure the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Right, but the account prompts me at my email address when I log in for a security code. Is it possible to add a second account?

No.  The return you are working on is in ONE account with an account and user ID.  Your return cannot be accessed from any other account or user ID.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

She'll probably have to call you when she's ready to work on it , so you can tell her the security code.

......In any case, you cannot both have same  tax account actually open at the same time....(if you are trying to do that).  So you can't have it already open when she logs into the same tax account.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Oh--good point!  Right--you cannot both be into the account at the same time.

Librarian

Using TurboTax Home and Business installed off the CD on 2 computers....how can both myself and wife work on our tax returns on one file but on separate computers....can the files be merged periodically?

@Librarian The only way to do that is to move the data from one computer to the other using a backup device like a flash drive.  Using desktop software is not like using online software.  The data does not just go from one computer to the other.   What you are doing may cause confusion, really.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

When you use TurboTax Desktop, your tax file is saved locally on the hard disk of your computer. It cannot be accessed by any other computer (unless the two computers are on the same local area network (LAN).

One solution is to save the tax file (extension: taxxxxx) and to send it by the mail to your wife who can load it on her computer and open it with TurboTax installed on her computer. She can work on it and resend the tax file to you. However, you both have to make sure that you are working on the latest version of the tax file. Both of you cannot make changes to the same file on 2 different computers and merge the 2 files.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Taimura

This seems like a major design flaw.