mlparkscb
Returning Member

Problem with entering supporting detail for medical deductions

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Can you elaborate?  You don't have to enter each item.  You can enter the total on any line.  Only the total goes to schedule A.

Do you have enough to Itemize?  

You can only deduct the amount of unreimbursed Medical Expenses you actually paid over 10% of your AGI.  And then all your itemized deductions have to be more than the standard deduction to get any benefit (so you would only be getting the benefit of the amount that puts you over the standard deduction).  And since the Standard Deduction is increased more people will not need to Itemize.

For 2019 the Standard Deduction is

Single 12,200 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

HOH 18,350 + 1,650for 65 and over or blind

Joint 24,400+ 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,200 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind

Boblutz

It will not let me enter any type of detail/supporting medical expenses, nor any totals. I tried saving and restarting turbotax. but no response when i try to type a number

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Online Deluxe I am able to create a tax return and enter multiple medical expenses.

To enter medical expenses, follow these directions:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Deductions & credits.
  • At the screen Your tax breaks, click on See all tax breaks.
  • Scroll down to Medical.  Click on Show more.
  • Click on Start to the right of Medical Expenses.
  • Click through several screens and you arrive at the screen Tell us about any prescription medication expenses.

Are you able to follow these steps in your program?  Are you using Deluxe or a higher version of TurboTax?

Medical expenses can be deducted on Schedule A Itemized Deductions.  In most cases, you will report itemized deductions when the total of your itemized deductions exceed your standard deduction.  The standard deduction for a Single taxpayer in 2020 is $12,400.

See this and this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Boblutz

I have download windows version of home and business. I get to the same place but it does not let me add/change or delete any details or totals. seems like a software bug in this version.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I am able to enter multiple medical expenses in TurboTax Desktop and review the tax return.

To enter medical expenses, I followed these directions:

• Across the top of the screen, click on Federal Taxes.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Deductions & credits.
  • At the screen How do you want ….., click I’ll choose what I work on.
  • At the screen Your 2020 Deductions and Credits, scroll down to Medical.
  • Click Visit All to the right of Medical Expenses.
  • At the screen Tell us about any prescription…., enter the amount of the expenses.

Are you able to follow these steps in your program? 

Yes I do, but I have always entered the supporting details as the amounts are high.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you are unable to enter an expense and you see a $0 in the field, a prior year supporting detail is probably causing the issue.   To edit or remove the supporting detail data - try the following:

If you see a $0, instead of just a dollar sign, you have the ''supporting details'' transfer issue I mentioned above.  

• Double click in the field and use the Red X (Remove) to remove the supporting details worksheet.  or
  • Go to the top Edit menu (Windows versions only) and choose Add Supporting Details.   Then click on the Red X (Remove) at the top.  

You should be able to enter an amount in that field now.     @Boblutz    @billmenikheim

My medical expenses are definitely more than 10% of my AGI.

The problem I am having is that the supporting detail windows that opened when I first entered my expenses this year, HAVE STOPPED OPENING. 

Did I turn them off somehow?

I have a lot of details, a lot of Medical expenses, and I NEED THOSE SUPPORTING DETAILS WINDOWS to keep track from year to year.  What happened? Where did they go? 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

In this public forum, we do not have access to your personal account information and are unable to view your screen. Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support and request to speak to a tech support agent who can assist with this issue. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@sisterglitch

The only way that I have found to use the supporting details from a prior year is to go directly to the forms and click on the "+" sign by the entry line of the medical deduction line that you want to enter the supporting details for for the current year.  That way you don't have to start from scratch.  I keep hoping that they will fix this, but so far they have not.