Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

It depends. If you are divorced or legally separated, you will file Single - if you have children or a dependent parent, you might qualify to file Head of Household.


If you are still legally married, your choices are Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. If you have dependent children, you might qualify to file Head of Household if you did not live together the last 6 months of the year.


Don't worry, though - you don't have to make this decision. TuboTax will walk you through all the relevant questions and recommend a filing status for you.


For more details, you can check out pages 15 and 16 of the Instructions for Form 1040

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"