How can I file my 2018 taxes after extension

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You will need to purchase the disc or download to prepare your 2018 taxes after the extension.  You will also need to print and mail your return as the 2018 return can no longer be e-filed. 

Where can I buy old versions of TurboTax? - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Online tax preparation and e-filing for 2018 returns is now permanently closed.  You had until midnight on Tuesday, October 15 to finish and attempt to e-file; if your e-file was rejected you had until October 20 to make corrections and re-file. Now it is too late to use online software or to e-file. If you have any changes/corrections at all to make to your 2018 return, you now have to complete it using desktop software, which you must download to a full PC or Mac  (not to a mobile device).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb...

If you already paid for your online software you can ask customer support for a download of the desktop software.

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

If you are getting a refund, there is no penalty for filing late.  If you owe tax due, then file and pay the amount due as shown on the Form 1040, but expect a bill later from the IRS for the penalty and interest you will owe.  Only the IRS will calculate this—TurboTax will not calculate it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If someone could help here. I am in the same boat.

I filed an extension (Turbo tax Online) in April of 2019 for my 2018 taxes.

They never got finished.

The file extension was accepted.

According to Turbotax I needed to download the desktop software now, and per their instructions then sign in online and download the tax file and open it in the desktop software.

Of course you can't even try this without paying for the software (again).

However when I log into the account (same account that I filed the extension with) I try to download and it just says "It looks like you didnt use Turbotax to file your taxes last year". 

So where is my tax file ? How do I get it? I have a schedule C from Quickbooks self employed that is automatically imported into that tax return, which I cannot access through QB self employed. What did Turbotax do with all my info? Help please, the customer service line is closed on the weekends. The rest of the info I can get from the IRS, but kinda need my schedule C. It did not let me save a PDF at the time, I am assuming because they were not officially filed yet? 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You can import your QB data into the desktop version of Home and Business.

1. Open (continue) your tax return in TurboTax.
  2. From the TurboTax File menu in the upper-left corner, select Import > From Accounting Software.
    • If you're importing from both Quicken and QuickBooks, import from QuickBooks first.
  3. Select QuickBooks (2014-2020), click Continue, and follow the onscreen instructions.

View in Original Post

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"