License Code Multiple Request by TT 2019 Desktop App

I am one of the lucky folks receiving multiple requests to input the 2019 Turbotax license code. 2019 Turbotax Deluxe desktop CD on Windows 10. I tried all of TT’s suggested actions to correct the problem. I finally uninstalled the software and then reinstalled the software. I again entered the license code. It is now working. At least for the time being. I am afraid to close the application for fear it will not launch next time. Does this mean I have used 2 of my 5 available licenses? Are there any other updates from TT on resolving this issue? Thank you.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

TurboTax License Activation every time TurboTax 2019 launches results in Error 603 after 5 attempts

Some TurboTax Desktop users who have installed and activated the License number may have been prompted multiple times for activation. after 5 attempts at activation, users receive an error 603.

Who Is Impacted?

The Following users may be impacted by this error

• Using TurboTax Desktop 2019
  • Have successfully activated the License
  • Being prompted to activate multiple times
  • Have activated 5 times resulting in an error 603

In the meantime please do not attempt to reactivate your license until we resolve the issue.

12-18-2019 Update: I have found that after the initial TT application launch and activation, I am consistently allowed 4 additional launches. The very next launch I am again asked for an activation code. It may be a coincidence, but during my final allowed launch, TT also downloaded updates. I am finding it difficult to believe the problem is on my end.

@PMH54 wrote:

12-18-2019 Update: I have found that after the initial TT application launch and activation, I am consistently allowed 4 additional launches. The very next launch I am again asked for an activation code. It may be a coincidence, but during my final allowed launch, TT also downloaded updates. I am finding it difficult to believe the problem is on my end.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for possible solutions to this problem - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-license-activation-every-time-turbotax-20...

If you still have a problem with the license code then contact TurboTax support for assistance.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

That software update on your last launch was likely a coincidence....since a software update was just issued last night.  No way to know if that update has any fixes for the code-entry problem.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Additional 12-18-2019 Update: I talked to a real person at TT Support in CA. He was very patient with me. He told me that once the software gets authenticated the first time, via the license code, the program has no further need to talk to the TT server for further authentication. His thoughts were that I may possibly have been sent a 'Demo' copy of the software that only allows a limited number of times the application can be opened. He is sending me a new CD directly from TT. It should be delivered in a few weeks. We will see if that resolves the issue. I can find nothing technically wrong at my end that could be causing this problem. As a point of reference, I purchased the original software package through Amazon.com.

Amazon purchases have been problematic from time to time especially if you thought you were buying thru the Amazon system but instead were buying from a third party vendor.   If anyone else runs into this issue they should request an immediate download direct from TT so you don't have to wait for a new CD. 

True..if a valid package, your old CD package "should" contain directions on how to get a new download of the installation .exe file directly from TTX.  They started doing that because of the gazillions of people with computers that no longer have a CD/DVD drive.

The newly shipped CD will likely contain just a preliminary copy of the software...needing immediate updates.  But the download service (from TTX) will give you the most current installation file with all updates already a part of it. 

Of course, you may want to wait for the newly shipped CD anyhow, since it would likely also have a new security code that you (perhaps) should use instead ...because the old code may have "issues" with your installation count.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

12-18-2019 Update 2: I just tried using the Download method, rather than the CD, to reinstall TT on my computer via InstallTurboTax.com. Yes, it is still the package from Amazon. I entered the license code (that's my 3rd license) and it came up working. I closed and opened the app more than 8 times with no problems. Although it may be a coincidence, it seems strange to me that both of my previous 2 licenses were no longer accepted after TT did an update to my software (12-11-2019 & 12-18-2019) via the TT software application.

Stay tuned...

As with all new systems ... this code requirement was bound to have issues but such is the cost of progress, conforming to IRS rules & regs   and of course the program integrity.

12-19-2019: Since using the Download method, rather than using the CD, I've tried everything I can think of to break TT. I did a reboot of the computer. TT did a download of a State software patch. I initiated the State Tax portion of TT. After each step I closed the TT app and then reopened the TT app. So far all is going smoothly. I am not ready to declare victory quite yet. I still want to see the app go through an update unscathed. That may not happen until sometime next week.

Continue to stay tuned...

12-25-2019: **RESOLUTION** After using the Download method, rather than the CD, to reinstall TT on my computer via InstallTurboTax.com, the app opened OK and has been working OK ever since. My lesson learned is using the Download method, rather than the CD, gives one a better chance of receiving an app that is not corrupted. After all the frustration, my opinion is TurboTax is still the best tax preparation software available for the majority of consumers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

i use the desktop deluxe version and have had no problems with installing from CD, updating or using the software on either of my computers.  One runs win 7 pro the other win 10 pro. 

how did you get it to run on the win7--I spent an hour with phone help for my win7 ultimate, and it still won't activate