How do I fix rejected taxes

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

What is the rejection code and message you received for the rejected tax return?

I don't know I just saw the payment wasn't taken and logged in and it says it was rejected

Anonymous
Not applicable

was your efiling after 10/15/2019.      if so, efiling was closed for 2019 so your return could not have been filed and no payments were made .  now you will have to print and mail the returns.    you can use IRS website to make payment so you don't need to send it along with return.  if yo have a state return, most states allow paying through their website    

follow TT filing instructions including making sure required documents such as W-2 are attached.     use a method where you can track them or get proof of delivery.   

because TT is updating to 2019 returns, as of now, you'll only be able to print forms and schedules required for filing.  if yo want copies of the worksheets, you'll have to wait til some time in December when TT online for 2019 is open

balance due on federal and most state returns was due 4/15/2019.  so don't be surprised if you get bills for late payment penalties and interest. 

@bkledeboer77 wrote:

I don't know I just saw the payment wasn't taken and logged in and it says it was rejected

Most 2018 tax returns are rejected for the 2017 AGI entered on the tax return.  Since the 2017 AGI is not needed to mail a tax return, then just print and mail your return.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

You are too late to "fix" it and e-file.  Now you can only print, sign and mail your tax return.  The most common reason for rejection is AGI.  The email that told you it was rejected has the rejection code or rejection message (check your spam folder)   AGI no longer matters since you cannot e-file anyhow and you only needed it to e-file.

Online tax preparation and e-filing for 2018 returns is now permanently closed.  You had until midnight on Tuesday, October 15 to finish and attempt to e-file; if your e-file was rejected you had until October 20 to make corrections and re-file. Now it is too late to use online software or to e-file. If you have any changes/corrections at all to make to your 2018 return, you now have to complete it using desktop software, which you must download to a full PC or Mac  (not to a mobile device).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb...

If you already paid for your online software you can ask customer support for a download of the desktop software.

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

If you are getting a refund, there is no penalty for filing late.  If you owe tax due, then file and pay the amount due as shown on the Form 1040, but expect a bill later from the IRS for the penalty and interest you will owe.  Only the IRS will calculate this—TurboTax will not calculate it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jkroom4

The IRS has found the following problems with your return:

• If Form 1040, 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return filed for the same tax year.

@jkroom4 wrote:

The IRS has found the following problems with your return:

• If Form 1040, 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return filed for the same tax year.

Can you be a dependent of your parents perhaps?

If you or a dependent that you are entitled to claim has already been claimed by another taxpayer, your e-filed return will reject since the SSN has already been used (either intentionally or in error such as a mistyped SSN).

Your only recourse is to file a correct tax return, claiming what you are entitled to claim, then print and mail the return.

The IRS will process both returns and pay any refunds. Shortly (within a year) the IRS will mail letters to both taxpayers asking if their tax return was filed in error and suggesting that they amend if they improperly claimed.

If neither taxpayer amends, the IRS will send a second letter asking for each taxpayers proof that they are entitled to the claim.

The IRS will evaluate each taxpayers claim and award the credit to one taxpayer, the other will have to payback any refund received plus interest and possible penalties.

Do not ignore the letters or you will loose.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**