mike2000
Returning Member

How many computers can I install TurboTax DELUXE on? I am having problems with a computer, and may need to install the program on another one, in order to finish taxes.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You can install the TurboTax software that you purchased on any or all computers that you own.

If you started a return and need to continue you need to move the .tax2018 file to the new computer.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2015, .tax2016, .tax2017 or .tax2018 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

mike2000
Returning Member

Thanks Volvo girl!  Two more questions for you...I have an old Windows 7 machine and for some reason all those internet browsers crash on me.  Have no idea why.  Do you know if you pay for the state filing directly through turbotax, or do they direct you to a browser to finish the purchase?  If I am sent to a browser, it will not work for me.  Also, i am able to log in to intuit's website through my work laptop (but I can not load turbotax on it).  So maybe I can buy it on my work laptop through my intuit account and somehow apply it to my turbotax program on my windows 7 machine through some sort of code?  Not sure if that is possible?

Well everything is going online through a browser.  Your efile and payment.  

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time (8-8 Eastern) Every Day until Oct 25, 2019
And until 9pm (12 midnight Eastern) on Tue 10/15/19
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

@mike2000 wrote:

Thanks Volvo girl!  Two more questions for you...I have an old Windows 7 machine and for some reason all those internet browsers crash on me.  Have no idea why.

That's weird. Firefox should have no problem working on Windows 7. Try downloading and reinstalling it from getfirefox.com, if it keeps crashing it should volunteer to restart in Safe Mode.

Do you know if you pay for the state filing directly through turbotax, or do they direct you to a browser to finish the purchase?

I just paid for e-file with a credit card (I got fed up with all the disclaimers and privacy notice from the shady bank that gets your refund when I first chose to pay the fee out of my refund) and TurboTax for Windows invited me to log in to my Intuit account and enter credit card details there. The window that popped up to do this wasn't my regular browser, it seemed to be a browser window controlled by TurboTax. That makes sense because TurboTax pauses filing until it knows you've paid, which is hard (but not impossible) to do if it just opens a link in a regular browser. I doubt that you'll be able to pay the filing fee from another computer, for the same reason.