Missing documents

I filed as every year with Turbo Tax but I'm unable to download the full 2018 tar return documents. When I download there are only 2 pages displaying. I need my full report. How can I  get it?

Thanks

ESerratti

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The new 2018 1040 tax return *is* only 2 half pages long.  If you want all supporting worksheets then print all forms and worksheets.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

And Will I find the "all forms and worksheets" you referred to? I click on all links under documents and I couldn't find it.

Thanks for your help.

See:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/troubleshoot-printing-issues/01/27086

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
David VanSice
Returning Member

I am missing the 2018 tax file:

I have this Type of file for all previous years in my computer files.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you prepared your tax return using the TurboTax online software, you will see an option to download your tax file on your home page in TurboTax after you log into your program. Just look for "Your tax returns & documents."

If you prepared your tax return using the desktop version of TurboTax, the tax file would be stored on your computer, so it cannot be downloaded from the intuit server. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
David VanSice
Returning Member

In all the years we have been using Turbo Tax, our prior year tax information has been imported as part of the software, this year, it is as if we have never used Turbo Tax.  Why is our 2018 tax information not importing?

@ David VanSice wrote:

In all the years we have been using Turbo Tax, our prior year tax information has been imported as part of the software, this year, it is as if we have never used Turbo Tax.  Why is our 2018 tax information not importing?

We don't know with any certainty what product you used for 2018 and 2019, and whether it was the same platform (online vs. desktop).   Please explain what you mean by "the software"?  Are you using Online TurboTax or the desktop software (CD/download)?  And what did you use in 2018?

NOTE:  In the interest of time, I'll go ahead and assume for now that you used Online TurboTax both 2018 and 2019, since that is the more common situation with this type of issue.   If you used desktop software for one or both years, this answer will not apply, and you'll need to report back for a different answer.

Did you use Online TurboTax for your 2018 return, and are you using Online TurboTax for 2019?   If so, and if the 2018 info didn't transfer in, and if you see no evidence of a 2018 return in that account (in "Your Tax Returns & Documents"), then you likely have multiple accounts and signed into the wrong one.   Many people end up with multiple accounts without realizing it.   Here's how to troubleshoot for multiple accounts (User IDs) :

You can have up to 5 accounts that use the same email address for notification purposes.  A User ID may be an email address, but it doesn't have to be.  It might be only part of an email address, or it can be anything at all.

To get a list of your User IDs and recover account access, you can use the tool at the link below.  When using the Account Recovery tool, try using your phone number first.   After that, if necessary, then run the tool on your email address(es) you can access.

NOTE: Before running the account recovery tool below, log out of all Intuit accounts including this user forum, or you might end up in a loop.  Then clear your browser Internet cache, close your browser, then reopen it, and go to the link below.  You may wish to copy this link so you can paste it into the new browser session.

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If still no luck after running that on your phone number and email address(es) that you can access,  here's another method:

Go back to the tool again, but this time leave the data field blank, and choose the small blue link that says "Try something else", and it will look you up by SSN and other parameters.

David VanSice
Returning Member

I purchase the CD every year, and the data from the prior year return (in this case it would be 2018) is in one column and as 2019 information is entered you can see a comparison of the two years.  This year, all information has to be typed in as if I have never used Turbo Tax.

@ David VanSice wrote:

I purchase the CD every year, and the data from the prior year return (in this case it would be 2018) is in one column and as 2019 information is entered you can see a comparison of the two years.  This year, all information has to be typed in as if I have never used Turbo Tax.

The 2018 info cannot transfer into the 2019 software unless you have the *.tax2018 data file on your computer.   If you prepared the 2018 return in desktop software, then you are the only one who could have a copy of it.  Search your entire computer system for any file ending in *.tax2018 file extension.    If you are using Windows and have multiple Windows user accounts, also log into each Windows user account and look for the data file.   If you have backup archive on other media, also search your backup media.

Also check the Recycle Bin.

And if reporting back, also please mention whether you are using Windows or Mac.

David VanSice
Returning Member

I purcased the cd at Sams for several years now and did the taxes as per the instructions on the cd. I do not know how "on line" would work when I'm using the TutboTax CD

@ David VanSice wrote:

I purcased the cd at Sams for several years now and did the taxes as per the instructions on the cd. I do not know how "on line" would work when I'm using the TutboTax CD

The Online answer in my first reply would not apply to you if you are using the CD desktop software.   As I said there, I didn't know when I wrote it what product you had used for 2018 and 2019, and in the interest of time I made an assumption due to the most common situation.   So just ignore that.   The online information above does not apply to you with CD desktop software for 2018 and 2019.

After it was clear what product you used for 2018 and 2019, I wrote you a second answer above addressing your issue with CD desktop software and how to try to find (hopefully) the *.tax2018 data file.