Get your taxes done using TurboTax

FYI ...all the other programs will require win 10 so prepare to upgrade.

For those considering a switch to another consumer-level product, it would be well to bear in mind that the transfer from TurboTax to the other product could present issues, at least 100% of the data might not get transferred. 

Windows 7 will  not be safe to use next year - why take a chance.  The big thing to note is that once extended support ends, Microsoft's official policy is to no longer patch security issues. That means if hackers and other cyber-criminals find a security flaw in the operating system, they'll effectively have free reign to exploit it.

There are a number of apps available to make Windows 10 look like Windows 7 - check online for ones with good reviews.

I agree that the Support of Windows 7 is a must.  Many businesses run 7 as OS and as employees we match our home machines to work.

sorry ... all those business using win 7 will need to upgrade sooner rather than later ... my income tax office must upgrade 5 computers so we can use the 2019 professional tax program so I am also upgrading my home computer & laptop at the same time ... good thing I have a great tech person who will do it all on the cheap.

Hi All,

I understand the security concern, but like many others I am not a fan of Windows 10. It is nowhere as stable as Windows 7 (not to mention the disaster called Windows 8/8.1).  There are numerous tech articles out there telling people about the vulnerabilities; they seem weekly.

If TT2019 will not install on WIN7 and there is no compatibility mode option, then we are stuck. 

Creating a virtual WIN10 machine is certainly a way to go, but it will require a brand new WIN 10 license and it will not be eligible for a WIN7 to WIN10 upgrade (because you still have WIN 7 running).  

Intuit SHOULD create and deliver a VM to run TT. It could be LINUX based and be done with it. I doubt they will do that.  As far as security since it would be compartmentalized it would be super secure.

Intuit was once an excellent company and over the years has deteriorated in responsiveness to customer needs. It is more focused on licensing and profit.  Unfortunate.

Well complain all you like but progress will happen even if you don't like it ... a couple of years ago when XP was discontinued you could still use the TT program for a while however there was no guarantee the program would work correctly and absolutely no technical support was available.   At least you are not using a MAC whose planned obsolescence program is much more aggressive ... you have to upgrade every 3 years or so.  

Some software companies will issue *updates* for there product(s) for obsolete OS's, but I know of no software company that will write *NEW* software for a system that is no longer supported by the vendor of that system.  For one thing compatibility issues that are the fault of the OS become impossible to resolve for unsupported OS's.

Systems such as Apple Mac must use the Apple software developers package in order to use the Apple (Mac) system functions and the developer software only supports the current and last two releases so it is not possible to develop new Mac software for any OS prior to OS X 10.13 since it cannot even be complied.  Thus for 2019 only OS x 10.13 or later will be supported by TurboTax because it is not supported by Apple.  

Windows developers of new software might have similar issues that the current compilers do not support the older systems.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@magyarmedve wrote:

If TT2019 will not install on WIN7 and there is no compatibility mode option, then we are stuck. 

We do not know that for certain yet - this is a big "IF". It could very well be that the 2019 versions will install on W7 machines. You just cannot reasonably expect Intuit to provide support for an OS that is no longer supported by its developer. 

As an aside, there are only, to the best of my knowledge, two (2) other companies that develop consumer-level income tax preparation software for installation on customers' computers. It will be interesting to see whether they support Windows 7 (I am betting they will not support it either).

Footnote: everyone should be aware that there are some liability issues here in supporting an outdated OS, particularly when customers are generating documents/files with such sensitive information as taxpayer identification numbers, et al.

Hi,

TT (along with other vendors) may want to reconsider this move if Microsoft will extended the end of life of Win 7.  Why would Microsoft do this?

Microsoft is issuing security critical alerts (it has been in the press) one after an other. The update process is unstable and they have published workarounds.  They are retrofitting the Win 10 update to be more like Win 7 (users can select critical versus optional updates).

Until this is stable, I will NOT upgrade to Win 10.  TT should take this into consideration. It has the clout to put pressure on Microsoft. 

@ williasp and others following this thread:

Here's some news on this issue:

TurboTax just put out a new official FAQ on Windows 7 and the upcoming 2019 TurboTax today (October 4).  It looks like 2019 TurboTax (coming mid to late November) will still install and run on Windows 7, but you'll get a warning about the OS security, etc., and recommending that you upgrade for that reason.  And in tax years to follow, it won't install at all.   See the full details in the FAQ linked below:

FAQ:  Windows 7 end of support impact for TurboTax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/windows-7-end-of-support-impact-for-turbotax/01/85...

Thanks for the update mesquitebean.

Cal1944

I see that Turbo Tax have said that 2019 WILL be installable and useable on Windows 7 - it appears they just won't provide support.  OK ..... but they definitely will NOT be offering this ability to run on Windows 7  for 2020.  They suggest going 'on line'....  I don't want to prepare and file on line..I print my returns as I need to provide a rather detailed data and breakdowns with the returns I prepare for myself/family members.   Why Microsoft discontinued Windows 7 is a total mystery to all of us who love this user-friendly system.  I will certainly never go to Windows 10 which is a total disaster  (or even 8). Mine is a working computer for home/office use - not game playing and surfing the ##*#($ web..and Windows 7 happily operates familiar and friendly  old software like MS Money, MS Works etc. and etc.  Intuit will be losing me as a customer after 2019 if they continue with this pigheadedness.  They seem totally blinkered to those of us who have been loyal for many (many years.  Oh well we can all hope some enterprising soul will step up to the plate ---perhaps with an even better set  of  tax software!?