dmertz
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Filing Form 1041 with TurboTax requires TurboTax Business (not Home & Business) which is only available for the Windows operating system.  Form 1041 is an estate income tax return and must be filed for any estate income tax year that the estate receives income of at least $600.  The estate can use a fiscal or calendar tax year, established when the estate files its first income tax return.

The end date of the estate's income tax year can be the end of any month withing one year following the date on which the estate receives its first reportable income.  If your father died in March 2019, you would not file a 2018 Form 1041 (unless you are filing it for 2019 because the 2019 Form 1041 is not yet available as described below) because the estate did not exist in 2018.   Additionally, there is not necessarily a need to file a 2019 Form 1041, but it might make sense to do so depending on how one might want to align the distribution of estate income with the tax returns of the beneficiaries.  Depending on when the estate received its first reportable income, the earliest end that that might be required is March 31, 2020.  The probate attorney should be able to explain this to the estate's executor or personal representative and provide guidance on choosing an income tax year for the estate.  (If not, I would find a different attorney since this should be very basic stuff for an estate attorney.)

If you use a fiscal estate income tax year and the filing deadline is before the IRS issues the updated forms for that year, you use the previous year's forms and modify them for any changes to the tax laws and procedures.  See Period Covered:  https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#idm140630132069712

TurboTax for 2019 Form 1041 won't be finalized for filing before the beginning of 2020, but if you choose to file a short estate income tax year beginning and ending in 2019, you can use 2018 TurboTax Business to prepare the tax return, making any necessary modifications for tax law changes.  (I'm not aware of any at the moment.)