h_l60

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I just submitted mine again and it was rejected within 30 minutes.  :(

My error still says:   
What happened

F2441-022 - If filing status of the return is Married Filing Separately and Form 2441 'CreditForChildAndDepdCareAmt' has a non-zero value, then 'EligibilityRequirementMetInd' must be checked.

However, I can’t check the box as I don’t meet all qualifications.
chenss7

Also rejected after about 30 minutes after submitting again with this error message.
opbak1

So if married filing separately should we not include child and dependent care costs? I only ask since after answering all the turbotax questions the system is telling me that i don't qualify for the credit...which is fine...but should i then go back and delete the values i entered? I assumed if the system says you don't qualify for the credit it just doesn't add those values to the forms. Is this not correct?  
maweiler
Returning Member

re-reading the recommended answer below
"Turbotax should not allow a form to be added to your return unless the credit is allowed"
Perhaps it is a Turbo Tax issue.  Form 2441 has always been in the federal return even when there was no dependent tax credit when there is a dependent care account.  It is possible this requirement has changed with the tax law changes.  If so, turbo tax is setting up the forms incorrectly.  If not, the IRS is not set up correctly.
JG2018

I researched a bit on the link that was previously posted about this being a known IRS issue and it appears that it is a known IRS issue: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/known-issues-and-solutions">https://www.irs.gov/e-file-provider...>

If you look at the known issues for 2018 you will see the issues that were occurring for MFS using form 2441 due to what amounts to a programming error in how to read the form when it is e-filed with the IRS.  You will also see that the solution was supposed to be pushed on March 17, 2019.  

I did call TurboTax on March 18, 2019, and I was told wait a couple days because with it being Sunday sometimes it takes time to roll out the changes, however, when I researched more on the IRS website about the MeF system or Modernized eFile, I learned that it is apparently subject to a routine system maintenance every Sunday from 1:00AM to 7:00AM - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.marketingexpress.irs.gov/systems-status/system-status-mef/modernized-efile-mef-operation...>

So, maybe they were overzealous in their estimate that the fix would be out by March 17, 2019, and the fix is going to roll out this Sunday, March 24th? I suppose at this point we can only hope.  I think that TurboTax cannot tell us because the IRS has not issued any releases or updated their Known Issues spreadsheet with a new date for a solution to the coding error.  

What I would not do is to delete the form.  The form is most certainly correct because so long as you are married filing separately, for what seems like the reason most are on this board, IDR plan calculations, and appropriately setting aside up to the $2,500 limit, claiming the dependent, and using the money toward dependent care, then that $2,500 is not taxable.  By not filing form 2441 you would likely be subject to tax on that $2,500 that you otherwise would not have to pay.

Hopefully by March 24th after 7:00AM we can all e-File......
anon-js

@JG2018 You were able to find out some great info that I could not! Thank you!!! I will wait until this Sunday. I hope they fix it this weekend.

The irony in delaying filing (hoping for a fix) is I could have mailed in my return last month and be getting my refund sooner than waiting to e-file. The fact that the IRS website doesn’t have a new projected fix date (from the original projected date of 3/17) is worrisome.

If it’s an IRS issue, how in the heck was one of the commenters able to e-file using HR Block?

I’m mailing. It was enough of a headache to do my own taxes let alone my daily checking/waiting/hoping I can e-file them through TurboTax.
anon-js

Wait until Sunday afternoon.  If it does not work then, mail on Monday.  
anon-js

IRS updated their known issues...they do not give a specific date but say "ASAP"

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-schema/ty2018_known_issues_and_solutions.xlsx">https://www.irs.gov/pub/i...>

Sounds like this isn't an issue when using H & R Block.  This is definitely the last year I'm using turbotax.

I'm encouraged to see the updated issues, but won't hold my breath. I spoke with a TT agent and she said how we can also file for an extension, if needed, so we can efile once the issue is resolved and avoid mailing in our returns. Unlike some of you I am not under any time constraints, though, and would rather efile. I did just accidentally efile my returns (because I went from efiling, to mailing, now back to wanting to efile). Will update to see if it goes through today or if it gets rejected again.

UPDATE: my return has indeed been REJECTED.
anon-js

Wait UNTIL Sunday.  MeF updates on SUNDAY between 1am and 7am EST.  If it fails late SUNDAY, then mail it.

Ok, This is the EXACT issue I am having! I am frustrated but mostly relieved it was not me! Am I correct to wait until tomorrow, 3/24, and try to refile?
stadrous

Hey Folks, I am having the same issue. I am curious how Turbo Tax will resolve this for their customers (i.e., if after 3/24 the issue is not yet resolved and potentially not getting resolved until 4/15). This is quite worrisome. I was already reticent about using TurboTax since I have always used H&R Block, given this experience I am reluctant to submit my paperwork through them in the future.