Will receiving forms 1095-A, 1095-B, AND 1095-C affect how my return is processed?

I am filing married filing jointly for 2016. I received wages for the first part of the year. Then I retired and started receiving social security and Medicare.  So, I received forms 1095-B and 1095-C. After I stopped working my spouse had to get marketplace health insurance for the remainder of the year because she is not old enough for medicare. She received form 1095-A.

Before I stopped working we both had insurance through my job.

If I only enter information from the 1095-A form it will look like she only had insurance for 6 months.  What should I do?  

HelenaC

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

This is a very common situation. No, it will not look like she had insurance for only six months if you entered that you had insurance all year. See the screenshot below.

You met the Affordable Care Act requirement to have health insurance in 2016 if you were covered through:

• your employer (employer-sponsored health insurance, or insurance through your work, or your spouse's or parent's work)
  • a state, federal or private Health Insurance Marketplace (including Healthcare.gov, and plans purchased through state Marketplaces, which are also known as exchanges)

The six months will only reflect that she had a Marketplace health insurance policy for six months. Marketplace health insurance policies require that form 1095-A be completed whereas forms 1095-B and 1095-C, do not.

Related Information:

View solution in original post