Where do I enter my 1099-misc information, under personal income or business income?

Where do I enter my 1099-misc information,  under personal income or business income?  I'm a real estate broker, self-employed.  Where do I put this income, in the personal income section or the business income section?  Or both?

TomD8
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If the income is in Box 7 of your 1099-MISC, in TT Home & Business (or TT Online Self-Employed) it can be entered under the Business tab, in the Business Income section under Business Income and Expenses.  Non-employee compensation (Box 7) is considered self-employment income, which is reported as business income.  TT will generate a business return (Schedule C), on which you can deduct your allowable business expenses.  To the IRS, if you have self-employment income, you're a self-employed "business."

If the income is not in Box 7, enter the 1099-MISC in the Other Common Income section of TT, on the line for 1099-MISC, and go through the follow-up questions.

You would not enter the same 1099-MISC into both places.

You'll find detailed information here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2893577-does-a-1099-misc-mean-i-m-self-employed

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

Thank you!

When I put it under business, it appears under personal too and when I look at that, it wants me to enter deduction stuff again??
scrilla33

Same thing is happening to me and it is really frustrating.  My understanding is it shouldn't be in both sections, but if you delete it from the personal section, it automatically then gets deleted from the Business section.  Any help out there for this?
TomD8
Level 15

It is usually considered self-employment or business income if it is reported in Box 7 (Non-employee Compensation) of the 1099-MISC.  Otherwise, it should be entered in the Other Common Income section of TurboTax on the Form 1099-MISC line.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
bsdayton

you have already replied that but it does not explain why we are asked to enter it in the personel income section as well... It changes the taxes owed as well. Why is it requiring us to put it in both places

Same here. Really worrisome. I've already done all the schedule C and now the personal wants to enter it again, and as others have noted, it's changing the tax liability.
jayra333

Same question for me -- why does 1099-MISC business income appear again as personal income?
jayra333

Ditto. Can anyone shed light on this apparent duplication of 1099-MISC income in both business and personal?
TomD8
Level 15

The 1099-misc always ends up on Schedule C, although it can get there either by being entered as personal income or as business income. In either case it would ask about business expenses also. You don't, however, enter it twice. If you've already entered it as business income then don't enter it again. You should see  what you entered in the business section.
To check that your 1099-MISC has been handled correctly by TurboTax, go to View > Forms and look at your Schedule C.  Line 1b should show your correct 1099-MISC amount.
scrilla33

The problem so many of us seem to be having is we are only entering our 1099/misc info in our business section and the system is automatically carrying some of it over to the personal section as well. It seems like a Turbo Tax system glitch.
jayra333

Exactly! Thank you, scrilla33! is this a glitch?
jayra333

It has quite an impact on tax liability, so it's important to resolve before filing.
bsdayton

Turbo Tax is forcing you to enter it into the personal income section as well. If you try to skip it,  Turbo Tax wants to delete it from both personal and business