New Member

What if my return is correct and my sons was wrong and a 1040X is being done. His exemption was incorrect, making mine get rejected?

Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You'll have to print, sign and mail in your income tax return(s). You won't be able to e-file your income tax return(s) since your son e-filed and claimed himself on his income tax returns. 

  • The IRS has accepted his name, Social Security Number (SSN) and the fact that he entered that no one can claim him as a dependent.
  • Your son will have to amend his income tax return(s) and file Form 1040X. See How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed?
  • Your son's 1040X has to be mailed in and will take approximately 12 weeks to process.


[Edited 3-18-2020|7:50 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post