37800ed

I need to file a IRS form 8606. I can't find it in turbotax. Where is it?

I need to file an IRS form 8606. Where is it?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Why do you think that you need a 8606 if it was not automatically created by TurboTax?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
37800ed

I have pre-tax and after tax money in my IRA. Each time I've made withdrawals from my IRA in the past I've had to fill out a form 8606.

Unless you made either a 2017 contribution or distribution there is nothing new to report on a new 8606 so the last filed 8606 remains the current 8606 in effect, not matter haw many years ago.

Did you make a 2017 distribution and have a 1099-R to enter?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
37800ed

Yes, I was 70 and a half last year so I made a distribution. The money in my IRA is mixed, pre-tax and after tax money.

If you properly entered the 1099-R and said yes to the question that asks if you made nondeductible  contributions and then entered the last filed 8606 line 14 carry-forward basis, and then entered the total 2017 year end value of all Traditional, SEP and SIMPLE IRA accounts that existed,  then that will be applied to prorate the total basis between the distribution and 2017 year end value on a new 8606 form on lines 6-15.  

(Note that those questions come by entering "continue" after the 1099-R summary screen.)
37800ed

I did exactly as you stated and entered the values asked for and my tax liability went down 100k. Thank you for your help!

$100K??- you must have had a lot of basis that you did not enter!!!  Glad to help.
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below FAQ for assistance with finding Form 8606:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300280

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"