marchlady

What does it mean when it says "How much of your 2017 federal taxes did you pay when you filed your tax extension?"

can I write off what I have paid so far on my extension?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The question you referred to wants to know how much you paid the IRS for federal taxes owed at the time, if any, if you filed an extension for your 2017 tax returns.

In others words, if you knew you were unable to file by April 17, 2018 but thought you would owe taxes when you were able to file your 2017 federal tax returns, then you would include payment along with the extension and then enter the amount on the screen you referred to in order to get credit for taxes paid and reduce your taxes owed.

However, it is a bit to early to have done this for 2017 (https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/).

I'm uncertain if you are confusing this with installment agreement payments. If so, installment agreement payments should not be included to reduce your taxes owed because they are themselves taxes owed but for a different period of time.

This series of questions on extensions does not make any sense.  I paid my taxes. I filed an extension and overpaid at that time. When I completed my filing I got a refund. Why would TurboTax be asking these questions.  Their existence is causing me a great deal of time that I think is being wasted. I put in the amount I paid with the extension. No where does it ask what my final tax bill was, whether I got a refund or any other information that would give some sort of sense to these questions. Am I wasting my time? Should I ignore these questions? If I am not wasting my time where do I find documentation on how to treat these questions (which are not self explanatory).

And now TurboTax is saying I have a huge refund.  Now I think, if I have already paid my taxes in full and I am not due any refund, that I should ignore these questions.

OK. So, the Payments with Extensions section is referring to 2018 taxes not yet filed (so there is no extension).  Then there are Payments with 2017 Extensions (state and local only) ... I had a 2017 extension made an over payment that was refunded.  Then there is a 2017 Refund Applied to 2018 ... I think this is zero because I have already received my refunds.

So, given that, what about the "Payments with your 2017 State Extension?"

I am referring to the section "Other Income Taxes" under "Deductions and Credits" ... I have decided all of this extensions stuff is not applicable.